need help tryed every thing still stalling [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need help tryed every thing still stalling

casey814
07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
i have a 99 grand am gt 3.400 al ready changed injector 6 and new wires plugs and coils when car is ruinng on a hot day or constint driving car will shutter stall and act like its running out of fuel i have put it on a computer and no codes show up iv tested the tps and idle air and its fine the tps volts drop and go up like the should any help would be great thanks

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 06:03 PM
My suggestion: get a fuel pressure gauge, see the psi on the fuel rail. Also, have you ran the car down to empty anytime soon? If so, setiments from the bottom of the tank may be gumming up the system, and/or there's an air pocket in the fuel rail.

Had the same issue with my job's '98 Chevy Suburban 2500. A week it would sputter and idle funky, stall occasionally, then one day, would not kick over. Two days of troubleshooting later, we opened up the fuel rail, crank the engine and out came the air pocket, and fires right up and idles smoothly.

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
ya its about 45 thru 50 psi with the key on motor off
and when i turn the key of its drops slowly
i even tryed to sux on the vackum line and i can just keep suxin air through the ruglator is it bad when i can do that

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
and i havent ran it down lately i did the mastake of doing that and cased a big problim with the injectors they had dirt cluged in them so i had to buy a new number 6 injector and put it back to gether it ran fine but now its this on

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
It's possible the fuel regulator is bad, it is a fairly cheap and simple fix.

Make sure your vacuum lines aren't clogged either, have you changed the PCV valve lately? If that goes bad, oil can be sucked up into the system.

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
were is the pcv at its sad im asking u this when i work on cars all day nut this grand am just got me hanging if u know what i mean

chris_gt_74
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
were is the pcv at its sad im asking u this when i work on cars all day nut this grand am just got me hanging if u know what i mean

It's on the front valve cover (right side)

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
ok ill have to check it can it be cleand or should i just replce it

chris_gt_74
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
You can clean it or replace it, it's pretty cheap. Try some carb cleaner and let it dry if you want to clean it out. I always just replaced mine since they are less than $5 generally.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
It's on the front valve cover (right side)

This.

It's right next to the oil cap, to the right of it. Careful, the rubber elbow on the PCV valve is probably rock hard, remove with care so you can reuse it. The flow tube that it's attached to can break if you're not careful either, and that's a dealer only part.

Ditto on replacement of the PCV valve, don't be chinsy and just replace it. Most autopart stores sell them for less than $4.

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
ok ive probly removed it 100 times with in the past six months trying to get this figure out when i tore the upper intake apart to clean the fuel rail and put the injectors in i like the car alot but starting to dislike it lol are the 99 3400 gt worth super charging

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I've had my GAGT for five years now, and logged 95,000 miles on it (it's at 160,000 now) I'm tired of it, but it's still a good car. Just needs some tune up love. But mine is demodded as well.

Supercharging? Better have deep pockets and a lot of patience. The M62 blowers that were made for the LA1/LG8 engines are super hard to find, and you can't just slap it on and go. I'll be perfectly honest, just maintain your GAGT and drive it untill it dies.

chris_gt_74
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
ok ive probly removed it 100 times with in the past six months trying to get this figure out when i tore the upper intake apart to clean the fuel rail and put the injectors in i like the car alot but starting to dislike it lol are the 99 3400 gt worth super charging

Sure if you can score an Eaton supercharger for it lol. They are rare and expensive as hell. There is an RSM supercharger but it's not so great from what I hear when it comes to build quality. Then there's turbo which is all custom pretty much and also expensive.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Sure if you can score an Eaton supercharger for it lol. They are rare and expensive as hell. There is an RSM supercharger but it's not so great from what I hear when it comes to build quality. Then there's turbo which is all custom pretty much and also expensive.

The Eaton blowers (M62) are great, but are super hard to find. RSM...no, just no. lol

Turbo is the way to go to make +300WHP, but you'll be dumping +$7K into he car for making lots of one off parts.

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
iv found an eton one for around 475 plus ship i can remeber the web site now but i googled it this past weekend

casey814
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
its either do the grand am up or get another 90 eclipse and do i big bore motor and turbo it i misse my 90 i had it since i was 16 and just sold it a yr ago

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
iv found an eton one for around 475 plus ship i can remeber the web site now but i googled it this past weekend

I told you, there's more to it than just slapping on the blower and off you go. Honestly, that engine will probably grenade if you try and boost it. Find another LA1 motor and rebuild it for the M62 if you want to go that route.

its either do the grand am up or get another 90 eclipse and do i big bore motor and turbo it i misse my 90 i had it since i was 16 and just sold it a yr ago

Okay...I'm going to be nice. Can you please try and spell things correctly? It's rather difficult to understand your posts now.

casey814
07-02-2012, 07:13 PM
i know ive planed on finding another motor first to rebuild it then slowly do it i work with guys who drive the buick grand nats 3.8 turbos and they all have built motors and always had a motor to rebuild to what they got now cuz there stock motor would never handle the hr there pushing

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, a stock LA1 in new/good condition/low miles can handle a decent amount of boost. The fact that yours is giving issues and is old, a rebuilt motor just makes sense.

casey814
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
i understand this my car has 106.000 never really thought any thing of these cars untill i met my gf and had a kid and she add me to the title i like it alot wish it didnt have these problems right now cuz ive spent sum good cash so fare in the past two weeks lol

chris_gt_74
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
106k is not high mileage really as long as the car has been taken care of. Mine has just shy of 98k and runs like a champ but yes I have plenty of repairs over the years I've owned it. The most 2 serious repairs were head gaskets and timing chain.

casey814
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
thats what im gunna plan on doing next summer is a head gasket job and chain nuthin so fare has brought me to do it but ive been doin a few 3400 at work with over heating and finding out the back head gasket crackes and get water in to the cyclder
ive done four of them so fare like that

chris_gt_74
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
thats what im gunna plan on doing next summer is a head gasket job and chain nuthin so fare has brought me to do it but ive been doin a few 3400 at work with over heating and finding out the back head gasket crackes and get water in to the cyclder
ive done four of them so fare like that

Yeah mine happened to be the back head gasket too. Number 1 cylinder specifically.

casey814
07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
yep its weird that its been the same on the ones ive done
and ive gottin good at taking the motors apart quicker the the labor book times so my boss gives me the motor jobs
plus hes seen me tear mine down at the shop during lunch wich is only a 30 min lunch and have it back to gether and runing lol

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
With all the issues, even at that mileage, do not boost it.

Get another LA1, tear it down and rebuild it. You'll thank yourself later on.

casey814
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
i know ive been looking at all the strokers kits on line a friend of mine just did a 383 strocker at a speed shop in my town and they guy charged hime right around 2500 to bore the blcok and all the goodies my friend just has to reclean the block and put it to gether witch i think is a good price for the block work

[ChaosweaveR]
07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't bother with an LA1 block, no sense to.

If you want a better engine, find an LX9 (3.5L OHV V6) from a G6 (05-07 models)

casey814
07-04-2012, 07:23 PM
welp put the new fuel press on yesterday and it ran fine till to day and then it started to act up again but now i can hear the fuel pum have a high pitch wine noise and then it starts to paulseat and the car shut off so im gunna lean toward the fuel pump now

AaronGTR
07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
If you had a problem with one fuel injector where it was so dirty or clogged that you had to replace it, I'd start there first. It's possible the rest of your injectors are dirty as well. I would try take the injectors out and having them cleaned in a sonic bath, or replace them all. At the least you should try running some fuel system cleaner through them. Then maybe look at the fuel pump.

As for supercharging, if you found a M62 blower somewhere for 475... well that is just the blower. And probably needs rebuilding at that price. It's definitely not a kit that you can actually bolt up to your engine and expect to run. Those go for about $3,000. ;) And yeah, I wouldn't really put the money into it unless you already know you have a healthy engine, and know everything about these engines and know how to tune them yourself. There is almost no aftermarket support for these, so you pretty much have to modify everything yourself.