Lq1/Getrap Swap? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lq1/Getrap Swap?

jd99gagt
07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Is it possible? Anyone do it?

Kayaus
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Search button helps immensely, but just like every other "swap xx-xx" thread they are all a waste of time and money, if your seriously considering a swap, grab the 3500 out of the G6 or the Impala an work with that, the 3800s are more then their worth, and the cost to mount every other motor is more then a good WS6 which will provide more power then any GAGT swap can attain.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
^ what he said.

The LQ1 is not a bad engine at all...but you're better off finding a W-body with one already. Your best bet is an LX9 swap (3.5L OHV V6) and build that up.

mfuller
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
LQ1 is pretty heavy though, and a bunch of weight is up top in the cylinder heads.
Getrag 5 and 6 speeds have been done.

AaronGTR
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, anything is possible... question is, is it worth it? The LQ1 isn't a bad engine at all, but it does have some reliability issues with timing belts, and it's difficult to change things like the alternator on it. If I was going to bother doing an engine swap, I'd use something newer and more easily compatible.

jd99gagt
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
yeah building off an engine that already comes with over 200 horsepower is what i was thinking but if weight is an issue and mounting will be a lot of fab than i just don't feel like doing that right now. timing belt would stick in my memory so its not a worry. Police are gonna get new interceptors so I want some more power. it's like v6's are hot again. The Lx9 sounds like a tad less but great condisediring how its 3400 based...

mfuller
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
LX9 has potential to make over 300HP without forced induction. It's been done with a big cam and long-tube headers.

jd99gagt
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
why would they have an old gen motor still making more horse out of the factory than an lx9 when the lx just stop production in 2012. I want an lq1 in my car because it comes with a getrag but if it's really going to be ball busting and time consming than the lx9 sounds good. ideally, when the times come i'd like to go for either 1. the Lq1 would be great. please link to any topic that has already been started related to this.

AaronGTR
07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
lol because they are two totally different types of motors, duh. You can't even compare them, other than the fact they are based on a 60 degree block. The LQ1 is a dual overhead cam engine with 4 valves per cylinder, and the LX9 is a single cam in block push rod motor with 2 valves per cylinder. The flow characteristics are totally different. ;)

jd99gagt
07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
lol because they are two totally different types of motors, duh. You can't even compare them, other than the fact they are based on a 60 degree block. The LQ1 is a dual overhead cam engine with 4 valves per cylinder, and the LX9 is a single cam in block push rod motor with 2 valves per cylinder. The flow characteristics are totally different. ;)

yeah wow i've never even seen one but i figured since they're both ff that they might be compatible. Oh well, even thoguh i still want it. Still a few different options.