Engine wash? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine wash?

UndeadGods
07-08-2012, 09:48 AM
I was always told that water on the alternator = bad. But recently I heard from a buddy that you can safly wash the engine with soap+water without the worry of damaging the alternator. Which one is actually true??

Also, what do you guys use to wash the engine, degreaser, soap?
I was debating wrapping the alternator just in case of damage.

RycherGates
07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Not knowing too much about cars, my voice doesn't hold as much credibility as the next guy. But, I recently used degreaser to clean off my engine. I just made sure not to spray the high pressure water directly on any electronics or wiring. I let it dry, and it started up fine.

Metalxen
07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
I was always told that water on the alternator = bad. But recently I heard from a buddy that you can safly wash the engine with soap+water without the worry of damaging the alternator. Which one is actually true??

Also, what do you guys use to wash the engine, degreaser, soap?
I was debating wrapping the alternator just in case of damage.
I've washed the engine down on every car I've owened, so don't worry about the alternator. And you don't need to let it dry before starting it either. I only use soap + water myself, but I have been pretty diligent with keeping the engine bay clean since the car was new.

UndeadGods
07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the reply guys!

Any particular soap/degreaser? Or specific one for engines?

rocketfast123
07-10-2012, 08:18 AM
That purple stuff is good. When i first did my motor, i used a combo of dish soap, washing power, and dishwasher power. Used a small brush and rag and it came out pretty good.

Also make sure the motor is cold. Try not to hit anything that has bearings in it. Like alt, a/c, pulleys.

GTfiend
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I detailed my engine bay with Gunk engine degreaser.... DO NOT get it on the Painted portion of your ram air ducting... mine all wiped right off :-( gotta repaint it now... Noob move.

1995quad4se
08-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Spray any degresser like simple green or purple power on everything you can spray including the alt. Use a pressure washer to spray everything including alt. Drive away when motor still wet. I did this on 2-3 cars per day for 7 months, never once did I fry an alt or anything. Once in a while you get a distributor cap too wet and have to open it and dry it with a blow dryer but that was it.