Computer won't let me car start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't let me car start

Bopper
07-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Here is the background. About 2 weeks ago, I was driving and stopped to pick someone up. About 10 minutes later, car would not start.
I checked the starter, the ignition, the park switch, the relay, the fuses, nothing.
Towed it to my shop, and they said the battery had dipped below 7.4V and a security feature in the computer would not let it start.

They put in a new battery, and reset fault on computer and all was well, until this morning.

This is not the ignition security feature, but something that is not in manual.

What is it?
How do I get around it?
HELP???

Thanks

UndeadGods
07-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Does the security light stay on when you try to start the car?

Bopper
07-09-2012, 08:51 AM
No, while trying to start just the battery, and service engine light.
The security light does come on every so often (every 3 - 4 days) but goes off when car is restarted.

Bopper
07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I found out that if I turn the ignition switch to "ON" for 10 minutes that it resets this security problem. While the 10 minutes is timing, the "Security" light blinked. After the 10 minutes was up, it went solid for about 10 seconds, and then went off. Then turning the key to "OFF" and then the care would start.

BIG QUESTION! How do I disable this security feature?

AaronGTR
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
There is no "security feature" in the computer that has anything to do with voltage. If there is not enough voltage, it simply can't activate the starter. Sounds to me more like you have an electrical drain somewhere that is killing your battery.

AaronGTR
07-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I found out that if I turn the ignition switch to "ON" for 10 minutes that it resets this security problem. While the 10 minutes is timing, the "Security" light blinked. After the 10 minutes was up, it went solid for about 10 seconds, and then went off. Then turning the key to "OFF" and then the care would start.

BIG QUESTION! How do I disable this security feature?

If that is what is happening, then it is a security code issue and not a power issue. In that case the security light should be on when you try to start the car though.

There is a security code stored in both the engine computer and the body computer, that rotates every time you start the car. The two computers check the codes when you turn the ignition on, and if they don't match up, the body computer won't turn the fuel pump on. The engine should still crank, but won't fire up. You can do the emergency start procedure (10 min key on, 10 min key off) and that will let you start it, but the trouble code stays in the engine computer and the security light stays on until you clear it with a code scanner. It will continue to have starting issues until you clear it.

Some people have had problems with the security system randomly getting the codes out of sync so that they regularly have starting issues. They usually do a bypass of the factory security system (called Passlock 2). If that sounds like the issue you are having you can try doing that. Read up on it here. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74971

Bopper
07-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Aaron, I'll give it a try

DrFabulous
07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah, try the emergency start that Aaron posted... I can't tell you how many times I had to do that to get mine running.

UndeadGods
07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah, try the emergency start that Aaron posted... I can't tell you how many times I had to do that to get mine running.

x2

My problem got fixed by putting in a remotless starter. Starts like a charm every time!