Can a Passlock bypass resistor go bad? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Can a Passlock bypass resistor go bad?

DaRkWaVe
07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Hello, I performed the Passlock bypass procedure about a year ago. A month ago my car started having a random no-start problem. The engine would turn over and start running until I let go of the key and it would stop. Most of the time the car would start up fine after the failed attempt, but it started to happen frequently about a week ago and now my car won't start at all. No security light, no codes, but I'm curious if the resistor used in the Passlock bypass has gone bad. Has anyone ever had to redo the Passlock bypass procedure?
Also, it seems my random no start problem started occuring right after I changed out the water pump. The old pump had a different impellor design than the new ACDelco one I put in, but operates fine.
I really don't know where to start to diagnose this. I've replaced so much on this car lately that it's wearing me down. Fuel has pressure, battery is charged, no starter noise, plugs and wires are new along with O2, PCV,TPS, IAC, and MAP sensor. FPR seems fine. Leaky injector? I'm guessing I should test the ignition conrtol module, though my car runs perfectly when I can get it started. I am on standby until further enlightenment.

unchained_01
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
It is possible with a power spike. As in jumping the car or moisture. Have you pulled the BCM and tested the resistor ?

DaRkWaVe
07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I have not tested the resistor. I was actually just going to either replace it or reconnect everything back to stock just for further diagnostic purposes. All I can say is that the car will start to fire and shut off, just like when I had passlock issues. It seems the injectors are being told to shut down, but no security light since it has been bypassed.
Its too hot in the garage right now and my patience is thin so I hope to figure it out later.

Vickers
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Sounds like an ignition switch based on it shuts off then key is released. Could also be either battery cable but most likely a failed ground at the starter....but rather that toss parts at it spend the $75 or so to get a proper diagnosis you will save in the long run