Ac compressor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ac compressor

vlix2012
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm a bit new to the forum. I think some of this has been covered here and there. I'm replacing the ac compressor and drier. The old compressor sprung a leak around the seal. I'm pretty sure most of the refrigerant is gone. Can I replace the compressor and drier before the shop evacuates it? Also, I read that the system needs 8 oz of pag oil. Should I split that amount between the compressor and drier? If so, which port do I pour the oil in the drier?

AaronGTR
07-10-2012, 10:41 PM
If the system has a leak, then you probably don't need to worry about purging. It is probably empty. The new R-134 refrigerant isn't harmful to the ozone like the old freon was either.

For the oil, you'll probably want to check with the place you are going to have recharge the system, unless you plan on doing it yourself. They will often add oil and dye at the same time as the new refrigerant.

You can do it yourself with one of those kits from an auto parts store, but they don't work as well. The system works better if you put a high vacuum on the system first, which you have to do at a shop with special equipment. The vacuum checks the system for leaks, as well as evacuating air and moisture, which makes it run more efficiently and colder. If you do it yourself, you'll need the kit with the pressure gauge and special valve if you don't have one already, and they cost a bit more than just a bottle of R-134. The amount of oil you add depends on what components you are replacing, and the manufacturer has specs for each system. One bottle would probably be sufficient for the compressor and dryer though. You can split it if you want, and doesn't matter which side of the dryer it goes in. On the compressor it should go in the intake port (it should be marked, but the outlet is the side that goes to the condenser), and at least half the bottle or more should go in the compressor.