Problems when in overdrive [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problems when in overdrive

als_grand_am_gt
07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
This morning coming home from work, i noticed something that my car has never done before. It seems to accelerate fine, but right when it shifts into overdrive it feels like its jerking (i guess thats the best way to describe it) or hesitating... the RPMS bounce a little and after about 10 seconds it levels off and is fine... until i accelerate slightly (doesn't shift out of OD) then i feel it again.... i had a similar problem with another car i had in the past... and i determined that i needed new plug and wires (it was miss firing)... is that my issue or is my trans going?

its a '01 gt1 with about 161000 miles on it.

jd99gagt
07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
idk but if it seems like its shifting fine up until overdrive could be some electrical or fuel minus fuel if it runs and idles fine. unless you can smell trans burning or see fluid or its not shifting at all than trans problem. I remember my car going wohh wohhh wohh up hills and hesitating when youd go to give it gas when my lim gasket went and when it would do that the exhaust smelled like s*it. I obviously put new gaskets in and new rubber injector Os and cleaned the injectors with some brakeleen too. It doesn't do it anymore and you can punch it if you want but maybe I just got lucky w/e. ** or could be fp I thought they told me that they needed to do something to that before I got the car. or pcm if your **** out of luck.

als_grand_am_gt
07-24-2012, 04:33 PM
still having the same problem... but i have noticed that its only when the RPM's are lower (less than 2500)... i thought maybe it was fuel related (which it still could be) and i wasn't sure when the fuel filter was changed last so i did that and no change... i guess i'll have to take the plugs out and check those... and does anyone know how to check the coils? i know you can check the ohm reading, but how and where should the readings be?

als_grand_am_gt
07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Not sure why but my problems were solved by putting a new battery in.... this was not part of my process of elimination, my battery died a few days ago and and i had it checked and it wasn't up to spec so i replaced it and so far my problem disappeared.

WidbyJ
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Changing to a good battery does make some sense... It sounds like your overdrive clutch was not engaging properly, this can be caused by lame power as it is electrically activated. Be glad it's fixed without actual trans repair....

GTfiend
08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Do you often get to overdriving! If this is the reason den I would sugest you that drive in alternate days. Dont over drive. Perhaps the wires and the plugs have got misplaced frm its place. May be the problem is related to RPMS. It's better you should check its parts before drving.

He means the gear "overdrive" not actually overdriving a vehicle....:applause:

unchained_01
08-05-2012, 09:45 PM
That's a trOll anyway ignore them