2005 Grand Am GT jerks slightly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Grand Am GT jerks slightly

xnevermorex
07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
I bought a 2005 Grand Am GT yesterday and when I'm driving it occasionally jerks a little, like it's gonna die. When it does this, the headlights and other lights will dim. The tach needle will also drop a little. I was thinking this might be a bad MAF sensor, but there isn't a check engine light on. Would that be the problem?

K1NG71
07-15-2012, 08:13 AM
you try checking your fuel pump and fuel filter?

[ChaosweaveR]
07-15-2012, 08:14 AM
The jerking could be a misfire, but the electrical dimming...could be an alternator issue. If the SES light is on, do yourself a favor and pull the troublecodes. If anything, just relay the exact troublecodes here and we'll help you out further.

xnevermorex
07-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Weird thing is that there isn't any warning lights on. Will check out the fuel pump and fuel filter today. As far as the altenator, it's brand new, and the lights only do that when it acts like it's gonna die. To be on the safe side though, I will have the altenator tested, :).

[ChaosweaveR]
07-15-2012, 08:38 AM
I doubt the fuel pump is bad, with these cars, when it shows signs of dying, it's already too late and you can't drive. ;)

Like I said, that SES (Service Engine Soon) light will tell you a lot on why the car is acting odd.

xnevermorex
07-15-2012, 08:48 AM
The car is under a 36k/3 year warranty. So I might just have the dealership check it out, I guess. Just don't understand why it would jerk like that. Didn't do it when I test drove it, and I gave it a good test drive.

AleroB888
07-15-2012, 09:12 AM
;1182852']I doubt the fuel pump is bad, with these cars, when it shows signs of dying, it's already too late and you can't drive. ;)

Like I said, that SES (Service Engine Soon) light will tell you a lot on why the car is acting odd.

not always so, sometimes they won't start for a whole day, run good for another day, before they die completely. But the SES should throw a lean code when that happens.

xnevermorex
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, took my grand am gt to the shop and got it fixed! It was the crank sensor!