Engine Fogging?!? Ideas?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Fogging?!? Ideas??

STFDFireman
07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
So I have a 2002 grand am GT that had a 3.4 that I had rebuilt and bored 30 over. Pretty much still a 3.4...lol Anyways, been having some problems with it here lately. Took it to the dealer and the only thing they found wrong was O2 sensors. Changed them. Not any better. The engine lacks power on acceleration. Its REALLY hard shifting to the point it sounds like a belt is squeeking. Today I took it to another garage and they went for a drive with me with the scan tool hooked up to it. Now im showing codes for the AIT, the TCC and the O2 sensor. Im kinda lost. codes showing are P0113, P0140, P0742, and P1111. Got it home from there and I decided I would replace the fuel filter and the AIT. The guy at Advance told me about engine fogging and it would be a great idea. Then one of the other guys came up and said it would destrpy the catalytic...Any ideas on this guys?? It seems SOME of my problems are fixed but still have a really bad lag when it shifts and not as much power as it should have.

FuriousG
07-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Sounds very similar to when I had my problems...

What happened with mine was that I had the infamous LIM problem but didn't know it. That problem led to a clogged catalytic converter (according to the mechanic that worked on it) and the clogged catalytic converter caused enough back pressure to sheer the head off of one of the exhaust manifold bolts. The "belt sound" I heard was the exhaust escaping through that part of the manifold.

In the end, I had to have the heads pulled out to drill out the bolt and the catalytic converter replaced as well. Got all the gaskets replaced too and haven't had any issues since. That was a little over 4 years ago I think.

No guarantee that's your problem since it seems like mine was kind of a fluke but it might not hurt to take a look at your coolant cap and oil to see if they are mixing. Also, try revving the engine with the throttle body so that you can try to locate your sound while you're head is under the hood. Watch the exhaust manifolds and see if something looks wrong. Mine was on the front and easy to see when you knew what the problem was.

STFDFireman
07-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Already had that replaced....I only get that noise when it shifts so throttling at the the throttle body won't help. Had the LIM replaced and then had the engine rebuilt. Seems like i have a fuel issue somewhere but I guess it could be a problem with the cat. That's why the one guy told me to try fogging the engine. I guess its common practice on boats but not sure on cars and i know the engines are two completely separate engines. Both fluids look like they should since I'm using a zinc added oil due to the restrictions on the engine warranty.

AaronGTR
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
First, what do you mean by "fogging"? Are you talking about one of those intake cleaners like seafoam?

And you said you've replaced the cat already? How long ago was that?

As for zinc added oil, that is stupid and completely unnecessary. They used more zinc in certain older conventional oil formulas to reduce wear on contact parts like old fashioned flat tappet lifters and drip lubricated cam shafts. Your engine has a forced oil lubricated cam and hydraulic roller lifters, roller fulcrum rockers, etc... there is NO need for extra zinc. ;) If some shop specifies that as a warranty condition, then they are morons and you should find another shop.

All you need is a good brand of standard 5w30 oil. A synthetic or syn blend would be good since it's a fresh engine.

STFDFireman
07-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes, I mean using.the seafoam inside the vacuum line. Any ideas with it? I have NOT replaced the cat. So far I have replaced the engine, o2 sensors, fuel filter, AIT sensor and cleaner the MAF sensor. The car is falling on its face. It isn't shifting hard now. That problem seems to have been corrected with the fuel filter and battery pull.

AaronGTR
07-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Seafoaming the engine usually will not kill the catalytic converter as long as you run the engine up to temp before you do it... but it's still probably not the best for it if you seafoam a very dirty engine and get a ton of crap out the exhaust. And if you have an old cat that is already clogging up from some other problem like running rich or burning oil, then that might finally kill it yes... but it would need replacing at that point anyway.

Since you haven't replaced the cat, I'm gonna say that is the first place you should look. Have it checked out and see if it's clogged. When people complain of lost power, that's a common culprit.

STFDFireman
07-23-2012, 10:06 AM
The catalytic converter did the trick! I'm glad to have my car back with a little pep in her step! Lol the converter weighs every bit of about 10lbs so its definitely fried! Got a tiny exhaust leak now just from where i used clamps instead of welding. I'll have the taken care of in a couple weeks tho...went to o'reilys picked one up for 100$!!!! Thanks for the help guys!