Will this muffler work? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Will this muffler work?

icecats87
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Im going back to stock muffler. Years ago I got a magnaflow and they threw my stocker out. then 2 years ago i got a flowmaster on and i just want to go back to stock. I have a 01 grand am gt 3.4L and found this cheap one off rock auto(cheapest muffler i can find) will it work?

http://www.rockauto.com/info/Walker/Detail.html?62712-0468.jpg

AaronGTR
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah. That is the SE muffler with the single outlet... but it should fit and work just fine. Any reason why you want to go back to stock?

icecats87
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah. That is the SE muffler with the single outlet... but it should fit and work just fine. Any reason why you want to go back to stock?

Okay thanks, and im just tired and annoyed of a loud exhaust, I'm not 16 anymore wanting the loudest car on the block.

AaronGTR
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
lol you're only 4 years out though dude. lol

Really, your car is that loud with just a muffler? Mine is louder than most "muffler only" cars I've heard, and I still like mine... and I'm 34.

icecats87
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
lol you're only 4 years out though dude. lol

Really, your car is that loud with just a muffler? Mine is louder than most "muffler only" cars I've heard, and I still like mine... and I'm 34.

haha I have headers high flow cat no res and a flowmaster. I like a little sound but not so loud when I get home after work around 3 am you can hear my car entering the neighborhood i try to coast down the street to my house every night haha

AaronGTR
07-18-2012, 04:51 PM
heh, I hear ya. Well if you put that stock muffler on there, it will definitely get quiet. Probably too quiet, and possibly restrict the flow from the headers and cat a bit as well. Have you considered trying a different brand/type of muffler to try and quiet it down a bit? There is a lot of room under the car. You could probably add a second muffler if you wanted to, where the stock resonator used to be, behind the cat. Just an idea.

icecats87
07-18-2012, 05:02 PM
heh, I hear ya. Well if you put that stock muffler on there, it will definitely get quiet. Probably too quiet, and possibly restrict the flow from the headers and cat a bit as well. Have you considered trying a different brand/type of muffler to try and quiet it down a bit? There is a lot of room under the car. You could probably add a second muffler if you wanted to, where the stock resonator used to be, behind the cat. Just an idea.

Hmm never thought about it I'll look into it, i was also thinking of just putting the stock headers and cat back on and going to a complete stock system. Really not sure how long I'll have the car though trying to sell it before winter but don't know if ill keep it until spring and then sell it.

AleroB888
07-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Has anybody here tried one of those variable tuning types that opens a valve automatically on flow demand? Or a bolt-on restrictor of some sort?

The stock muffler on these cars seems to be exceptionally engineered for quietness

[ChaosweaveR]
07-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Get a Borla muffler, they're still a nice flow design, but much quieter than a Magnaflow or Flowmaster.

oldschoolguy
07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Has anybody here tried one of those variable tuning types that opens a valve automatically on flow demand? Or a bolt-on restrictor of some sort?

The stock muffler on these cars seems to be exceptionally engineered for quietness

My friend has one on his truck. He'd never go with anything else. Quiet as a mouse at idle and cruise, and loud and nice when you romp on it....but I'm sure you're asking if anyone here has it *on their car*

AleroB888
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
My friend has one on his truck. He'd never go with anything else. Quiet as a mouse at idle and cruise, and loud and nice when you romp on it....but I'm sure you're asking if anyone here has it *on their car*

No, I'm interested to know what brand it is and if it flows well.