want to scrap the monsoon stereo system [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : want to scrap the monsoon stereo system

xnevermorex
07-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I want to bypass the monsoon system in my 05 grand am. I don't have the on-star crap, just the chimes, etc. Do I have to buy that expensive harness or can i just leave them off?Will it throw a "SES" light?

EJ01GAGT
07-19-2012, 10:06 PM
ive got the harness that made me lose my chimes but i dont really miss em. and naw it wont throw a SES light so you're good

rocketfast123
07-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Go to wal-mart and get this
http://www.audiovideo4me.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GM2000-2.jpg

Only problem i ran into was sometimes when it was really cold, the radio would run for 15 seconds or so. It would beep 5 times and shut the radio off.

sugar ray
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Just finished this project this spring on my GA. I opted to go with the expensive harness. Not only to retain factory chimes and on star BUT the stock "amp" without the expensive aftermarket harness will not work without it. The monsoon speakers can "NOT" be wired up to an aftermarket amp either so without that aftermarket harness your pretty much forced to re-wire a whole new stereo system. If that's your goal, no big deal. They have made it a PITA to go aftermarket with the monsoon and bose systems. A standard GA that had no fancy stereo system is not a problem to work around this.

I had a serious problem dropping $100 on the harness just so I could install aftermarket. Once I got over that it was a breeze. I got the GMos-02 from crutchfield

xnevermorex
07-21-2012, 06:30 PM
So basically I could just mount the aftermarket stereo in the "cubby" hole underneath the factory stereo and rerun all new wires, speakers, subs, and amps, correct? I'm a TIG welder and was thinking about making an aluminum treadplate cover to fit over the hole underneath the factory stereo to mount the aftermarket stereo into. When i'm done with it, I will take pics and post them, :).

xnevermorex
07-21-2012, 06:33 PM
might also do some accents to the car with some polished aluminum treadplate as well! I get the stuff for free anyway, so might as well put some of it to use, lol, :).

sugar ray
07-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Very ambitious indeed!! For about $12 you can get the proper install kit so there is no need to fabricate anything that would cover that hole. Depending on your aftermarket deck (double DIN or single) they make both style kits.

UndeadGods
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I just dropped in Kenwoods DVD player, I bought the 120$ harness. It kept the chimes, n I was able to use Monsoon amp + Jackhammer 1200Watt amp+Subs
Rear speakers had to be rewired cuz I replaced them with Sonys