Overheating, fixed problem, still no heat? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Overheating, fixed problem, still no heat?

DarkoNova
07-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi guys. First post, but I've been browsing for a while since my gf has a 2000 GT. :hay:

Anyway, long post incoming lol:

Few weeks ago she calls and says her car overheated. So she pulled over and let it cool. I get up there and notice one of the heater core hoses was hissing. So we replaced the hose and bled the system. Or tried to, I couldn't get a solid stream of water to come out of the bleeder, and the heater never really got hot. We got it home and let it warm up again and I saw bubbles coming from between the head and block. So we tore the engine down, took a straight edge to the heads and saw they were still fine, so we got a head gasket kit from Autozone. Replaced the head gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, some random O-rings, and whatever else came in the kit. Started it up and no more bubbles or leaks, and it idles and runs fine, but the temp creeps up when idling at a light and eventually will shoot up to the red if left running long enough (assuming it will, we let it get to the 3/4 mark and shut it off). Before shutting it off, though, I got under and checked the radiator. Only the passenger's side was actually hot, the driver's side was cold enough that I could let my hand rest on it without getting burned.

So I ordered a new radiator and we just installed that, and even installed a new radiator cap. We were able to get a solid stream of water out of the bleeder this time, but the heater still never gets hot. I don't really want to flush it and get crap in the brand new radiator, but I also don't want to have to pull the dash just to change the heater core.

I'm still waiting on a new thermostat and hoses to get here (local parts houses can suck it, $20 a hose versus $2 a hose online lol), so I'm hoping the thermostat will fix it.

Kinda doubting it, though, honestly.

Any ideas?

drakesrevenge
07-20-2012, 09:05 PM
happened to me a few years ago mine was a warped head that was allowing air into the system i got a couple of new heads and fixed the problem.

UndeadGods
07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
How's the coolant level? Mine didn't shoot out heat cuz of low coolant.

DarkoNova
07-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I hope the heads aren't warped. We put a straight edge on each head in multiple positions and shined a flashlight at it. Never saw any light between the head and the straight edge, so they should be fine. During the bleeding process, the coolant level is always maxed out because we had a hose in the reservoir just slowly trickling coolant into it.

I remember reading something about someone with no heat, so they just disconnected the heater hoses, and stuck a garden hose in there at high pressure to flush the core out. I might just try that and hope for the best...

3800L67GAM
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
I hope the heads aren't warped. We put a straight edge on each head in multiple positions and shined a flashlight at it. Never saw any light between the head and the straight edge, so they should be fine. During the bleeding process, the coolant level is always maxed out because we had a hose in the reservoir just slowly trickling coolant into it.

I remember reading something about someone with no heat, so they just disconnected the heater hoses, and stuck a garden hose in there at high pressure to flush the core out. I might just try that and hope for the best...

Don't try it at high pressure start at medium and then and then make your way up to high pressure?