new guage cluster? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new guage cluster?

greygoose08
07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
can i put a new guage cluster in my car? will the miles my car has now read the same or will it read the new cluster? question i ask is because at around 65-70 on the highway holding a steady speed it will fluctuate back and forth which is why im thinking my cruise control is all out of wack. so id like to try a different cluster.

UndeadGods
07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
When you change the cluster, you'll have to memorize where your gauges were previously, otherwise they'll be off.
But if your cruise control is screwed up, why would you change the cluster?

Does it fluctuate only when you are using cruise control, or does it always do it?

greygoose08
07-21-2012, 01:29 PM
around 65-70 sometimes on the highway when im driving say at 65 ill watch the speedo needle bounch from 65-70mph without actually gaining or losing speed. like a stepper motor is acting up or something in the guage itself. thats why i think my cruise acts up.

AaronGTR
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
The gauge cluster doesn't have anything to do with how your cruise control works. It only shows info sent to it by the computer. The cruise control is operated by the engine computer, based on info received by sensors like the output speed sensor in the transmission, the wheel speed sensors, and the brake activation switch.

If your needle is bouncing it could be a bad gauge cluster, or it could be that it is just getting a bad signal. If your cruise control is acting up, then that would point to a bad signal as well, so there is probably nothing wrong with the gauge cluster. Your issue is probably with the speed output sensor or the engine computer itself.

unchained_01
07-21-2012, 04:56 PM
does the tach bounce between 2200 and 2500 rpm ? in OD ?

greygoose08
07-21-2012, 07:46 PM
yes it does. im guessing youll tell me something in the trans?

unchained_01
07-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Yeah it is, its the torque converter lockup (apply/release) Its a normal thing for these trannys with some wear on them And GM's trans tuning is kinda conservative and set for a smoother transition So there wasn"t customer complaints of harsh shifts and also trans longevity But the settings actually cause more wear/heat in the long run

greygoose08
07-23-2012, 08:07 PM
So where is the best place to buy a new torque convertor? Just a stock one will be fine, its my work car. Our do I just go to a local trans shop? Any idea what the tc costs new itself?

Starglow
07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
So where is the best place to buy a new torque convertor? Just a stock one will be fine, its my work car. Our do I just go to a local trans shop? Any idea what the tc costs new itself?

I don't know about the TC cost, but you either have to pull out the engine or trans to install it so it's not going to be fun. For all that labor and effort I'd just get another trans to drop in assuming the TC is the problem. It would suck to replace the TC and still have the same issue.

Your mileage may not read the same if you replace the cluster. Some states have strict requirements when installing a new cluster to prevent vehicle mileage fraud so you need to check with the DMV regarding any such laws in your state.

greygoose08
07-28-2012, 03:20 PM
what year trans am i looking for one out of? i know there are different numbers on them. heard i cant use a 99 or 2000. so can i look for a 01-??? or what?

AaronGTR
07-29-2012, 12:10 AM
The torque converters are all the same. You should be able to use any from a 99-05.

greygoose08
07-29-2012, 11:36 AM
but if i buy a whole used trans i mise well just throw the whole thing in along with the tc. save some time and what not. just need to know what year trans i cant put in my 01

AaronGTR
07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
They made internal improvements up through '03, so I would get an '03-'05. They are all the same as far the case, electronics, etc. It will bolt right in and will not throw any codes. Lots of people here have swapped in tranny's from different years into their cars.

greygoose08
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
awesome, thanks for the info. quick question, did any of the years have any different gear ratios?

unchained_01
07-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Se had 3:05 and GT had 3:29 in the automatics And i don t think its the TC itself
I think its the TC apply solenoid you actually need to have the car sacnned with a Tech II while driving to get an accurate diagnosis
How many miles on the trans ? Have you changed the fluid/filter ?

AaronGTR
07-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah, no different gear ratios between years. Just a different final drive ratio between the SE and GT V6 cars. You'll need a trans from a GT.