Advice on 2005 Steering Wheel and Clcokwork spring [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 2005 Steering Wheel and Clcokwork spring

StarkGrdAM
07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I own a 2005 Grand Am

Like many, mine got the clicking problem. I took out the muftiswitch and cleaned it with contact cleaner and regreased it with Napa automotive electric grease.

Problem solved. But while installing it back into the car, I didn't notice that the small metal pin in multiswitch wasn't installed correctly against the cancel cam (horn ring). When I straitened my wheels, it completely destroyed the brass ring on teh cancel cam.

So I took the airbag out via the instructions here and on youtube and proceeded to remove teh steering wheel. I'm apparently the luckiest man alive because my grand am is one of the few where the tolerances are so bad, the wheel not come off. The steering wheel puller split the steering wheel in half. And I had to destroy the clockwork spring to get behind the wheel to get the rest of the debris left behind.

Now that i have it off I am now faced with the challenge of replacing the broken parts. The cheapest option is to get a whole steering column from a parts picker for $50. (buying the parts separately will be about a 100 or more)

Should I just replace the whole column in one go? How hard is this to do? The column the parts guy has is an 01 and the end of the air plug connector looks different from mine. I'm also wearing of running into another unmovable steering wheel. I'd hate to spend the money and get yet another bad steering wheel.

StarkGrdAM
07-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I'll try to post some pictures of the wheel later today. I'm sure some might enjoy seeing what a split wheel looks like.

BTW, is there any difference in steering columns for the grand am? The parts guy said that the ABS version was not the same and that I should check what I have before I buy.