3400 or 3500 Cylinder Bolts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3400 or 3500 Cylinder Bolts

G.I.Ceo
07-22-2012, 03:34 PM
As most of you know I am doing a 3500 top swap and then adding boost to it. When I install the new 3500 heads on my 3400 motor should I use 3400 cylinder head bolts or 3500 ones?

unchained_01
07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
If I am not mistaken they are the same Look them up and check the specs. Both factory sets are torque to yield. And there may be an improvement idk about from 2007 to present But if I were you I would run ARP studs and I am on the fence about cosmetic gaskets. I can't remember how much boost you are going to run but if it's over 10 to 12 psi. I would run studs Just my 2.

AaronGTR
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Pretty sure the bolts are the same. You do have to get new ones though, every time you remove and re-install the heads. If you don't plan on doing that much, then just gets the bolts. ARP studs won't be cost efficient unless you are swapping heads a lot, or running a lot of boost. Stock head gaskets will hold a decent amount of boost as well, as long as you don't detonate. The ARP studs may give you a little more head room with stock head gaskets by providing more even clamping force. The cometic gaskets aren't really necessary unless running fairly high boost levels, or if you want/need to alter the compression ratio with gasket thickness... however if you want to use those gaskets, you absolutely HAVE to have your heads decked first to make sure they have a smooth flat surface, or you will have sealing problems.

G.I.Ceo
07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Pretty sure the bolts are the same. You do have to get new ones though, every time you remove and re-install the heads. If you don't plan on doing that much, then just gets the bolts. ARP studs won't be cost efficient unless you are swapping heads a lot, or running a lot of boost. Stock head gaskets will hold a decent amount of boost as well, as long as you don't detonate. The ARP studs may give you a little more head room with stock head gaskets by providing more even clamping force. The cometic gaskets aren't really necessary unless running fairly high boost levels, or if you want/need to alter the compression ratio with gasket thickness... however if you want to use those gaskets, you absolutely HAVE to have your heads decked first to make sure they have a smooth flat surface, or you will have sealing problems.

Do I need to just get the heads decked? Also since I am using .070 thick gaskets should I have a specific amount decked from the cylinder heads or would it be in my best interested to just use a standard head gasket? I thought that it was pretty much a given that when going boost you need to change over to a MLS style gasket because they can handle the boost the best.

unchained_01
07-22-2012, 07:53 PM
To use cometic HG's you have to have a 50 or better roughness average on the whole sealing surface If the heads are used and havent had any work done to them
YES get them decked so they are flat And any shop with good equipment can used a fly cutter/mill to get the heads that smooth and flat Most aluminum heads only take 2-3 thousandths to straighten if it takes more than that i would find another set

AaronGTR
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Do I need to just get the heads decked? Also since I am using .070 thick gaskets should I have a specific amount decked from the cylinder heads or would it be in my best interested to just use a standard head gasket? I thought that it was pretty much a given that when going boost you need to change over to a MLS style gasket because they can handle the boost the best.

no, I've run for years on stock gaskets with boost. MLS gaskets are not required to run boost. If you plan on running a lot of boost though, they might be a good idea. If you do decide to use them, you have to have the heads decked to make sure they are flat and have the correct surface finish or they won't seal properly. I only mention this because I never had a problem with head gaskets not sealing UNTIL I switched to MLS and my shop didn't tell me I had to deck the heads to use them, so I installed them and they didn't seal and had to come back off.

Like I already said.... if you aren't planning on running high boost (over 14psi or so), or taking the heads off a bunch of times... then just use stock head gaskets and bolts.

If you might switch heads in the future, or plan on running 12psi or higher, ARP studs with stock gaskets will give a little more insurance.

ARP studs and MLS gaskets for high power turbo apps only, or if you need the MLS gaskets because of the ability to order them in different thicknesses to tailor the C/R.

G.I.Ceo
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
I talked with a guy that runs a boosted Alero about the head gaskets. He had all kinds of issues with head gaskets both stock and MLS until he said he found a combination that worked. What he explained to me was like you said first off is to have the heads decked which I already planned for that and will be dropping them off hopefully tomorrow. He also said that they have found out that even though MLS says to put the gaskets on dry you do have to put a little coat of copper spray on both sides of each gasket before installing them. Then he said to use ARP studs and follow a specific torque sequence that he sent over to me.

He said that after he did all of that and 4 head gasket replacements later he can run about 21+psi all day and his car doesn't have issues of over heating anymore. He does run a 2.4l instead of a 3.4l and I know that there will be some differences. But I read some of his troubles he had with head gaskets and I will tell you I was really worried about it at first.

I know running MLS gaskets and ARP studs may not be necessary and a little over board but I much rather be as close to 100% as I can be. Plus you never know what the future holds.

G.I.Ceo
07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I ended up picking up a ARP head stud kit never installed for cheap.