Power steering pulley [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pulley

young gun
07-23-2012, 10:36 AM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/ssj18goku/DSC00178.jpg

Yup...Started scrapping my engine mount. Should I just replace the pulley or do you think it may have cause damage to the pump aswell and just replace the whole pump? or do you think i can just tighten it back up?

Either way I gotta run the the parts store to get the puller to do this

shiwnath
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
If it's not leaking or whining then it should be fine... how does your power steering feel? How did the mount get into contact with the PS pulley?

Shade2012
07-23-2012, 11:50 AM
You need to clean that engine bay, sir. :thumbs:

But you should be fine if you aren't feeling any noticeable problems. If it aint broke dont fix it.

young gun
07-23-2012, 01:48 PM
If it's not leaking or whining then it should be fine... how does your power steering feel? How did the mount get into contact with the PS pulley?

You need to clean that engine bay, sir. :thumbs:

But you should be fine if you aren't feeling any noticeable problems. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Guess I didn't describe enough.

At first a squealing noise that quieted down when turning but existant at idle and low RPM's. So I figured the power steering pulley. Then I got worried maybe the pump or the bearing of the pump which would mean a whole new pump too. Then last night on the way home about 1/2 mile from home it got stupid loud and loss of power steering on and off.

Turns out..

The pulley is hitting the mount causing it to STOP turning and loss of power steering on and off. Terrible noises were coming from it. I just got the Pulley off and the pulley just came right off with no effort as well as there is a chunk missing about 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 inch missing on the inside part of the pulley(towards the nose of the engine). The Plastic "gears" of the pulley became stripped in some parts.

I'm just wondering if I should Just swap in a new pulley or if i should plop in a new pump as well cause there might be damage to the pump..

young gun
07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Guessing the pulley just got out of alignment due to the gears stripping or some **** idk. I do have bad Front and probably rear trans mounts If that could of factored in. Kinda been lazy about maintenance and it is coming back to haunt me. I gotta keep the DD reliable

young gun
07-23-2012, 01:55 PM
I should just go to school to be a mechanic so I would know these things -_____-

emncfi
07-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I think I would just try first to tighten the three bolts that hold the pulley to the pump, otherwise replace the whole thing

Starglow
07-23-2012, 02:31 PM
I'd just replace the whole pump and be done with it. They aren't that expensive or hit the bone yard.

I'd be more concerned as to why this happened. Those studs you have on the motor side of the motor mount are unusual, not saying it's a problem but regular bolts are usually there.

DarkoNova
07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I'd just replace the whole pump and be done with it. They aren't that expensive or hit the bone yard.

I'd be more concerned as to why this happened. Those studs you have on the motor side of the motor mount are unusual, not saying it's a problem but regular bolts are usually there.

Really? That's how it is on mine, too.

There's a bracket for a hose going to the air pump that sits on top of them and has two nuts securing it to the motor mount studs. This is the first Grand Am I've worked on, so I assumed that was standard.

young gun
07-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Replaced the whole pump. Tensioner was a whore but with a extra hand I got it no problem. This Pump whines a bit more.( Yes i filled it, "bled" it, topped it off, drove it a bit, Checked the level again) but of course it is a junkyard pump so I guess I get what I pay for lol. But it has a 60 day replacement warrenty although I'd have to do the work all over again

Starglow
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Replaced the whole pump. Tensioner was a whore but with a extra hand I got it no problem. This Pump whines a bit more.( Yes i filled it, "bled" it, topped it off, drove it a bit, Checked the level again) but of course it is a junkyard pump so I guess I get what I pay for lol. But it has a 60 day replacement warrenty although I'd have to do the work all over again

Based on posts I've read, the whine is common on GA's and will most likely go away. I bought a brand new pump and it whined too, so give it a few days to settle.

I just noticed in your photo that your old pump was a reman part if you look close at the markings, so it was replaced once before.

Starglow
07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Really? That's how it is on mine, too.

There's a bracket for a hose going to the air pump that sits on top of them and has two nuts securing it to the motor mount studs. This is the first Grand Am I've worked on, so I assumed that was standard.

Wow....that must be a California emissions thing. Most GA's I've seen on the East Coast have two bolts there and don't have an air pump.

DarkoNova
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Wow....that must be a California emissions thing. Most GA's I've seen on the East Coast have two bolts there and don't have an air pump.

Probably. I don't remember what happened, but my gf needed to get a new motor at one point, and it was a pain in the ass because we're in SoCal and she had to get the California engine. Now she got a new car and I got the GA, but it sucks because all the performance stuff looks like it's illegal in CA. :nono:

AaronGTR
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I'd get those mounts fixed. Otherwise you'll probably be replacing that pump again, and who knows what else. That is probably how the problem started to begin with. An engine/trans out of alignment isn't too good long term on your CV joints either.