Problem After UIM Change [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem After UIM Change

destroyer179
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Well I recently bought a ported UIM off the for sale board. After getting it on and reassembled today it's making a loud noise. It almost sounds as if there's a click or vibration in there but it isn't anything I can see. Also noticed today that when putting the car in drive it has sort of a kick back. Any ideas? Or are these two unrelated?

boost21
07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
When you installed it did you torque it down using the proper pattern and specs? They are really sensitive to tightening them down wrong. What kind of a noise? Generally a loud high pitch noise would indicate a leak somewhere.

destroyer179
07-23-2012, 11:02 PM
It isn't a high pitched noise, it more sounds like something is rattling around inside the engine. And I was probably off a bit when torquing them down.

BJPbrandon2448
07-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I know your supposed to torque everything down to correct specs... but ive removed the UIM twice over the past six months and never have had any issues. I need to get a torque wrench though because it is something that should be done... I was just saying I havent had any issues. Im wondering if it your valves ticking?

destroyer179
07-23-2012, 11:16 PM
The only thing I really had an issue with when installing it was the bolt on the bottom of the EGR. The two that hold it to the UIM are fine, but the one that holds the clamp in place to keep the hose flush won't go in all the way. It's just stuck. Also, since I'm pretty novice, would the valves ticking be a loud noise and cause the engine to run a bit rough?

boost21
07-23-2012, 11:16 PM
You sure you have all the vaccume connections connected or capped off?

destroyer179
07-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Well, I know that I have one running from under the coil pack to the CAI. That one appears to be in pretty well. Then there's one behind the TB that also connects two other places. It seems a little loose right behind the TB. Then there are the two coming from the MAP sensor and the one that is capped right near the 3 in 3400. Does it sound like I'm missing anything?

destroyer179
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Well I had the mechanic look at it this morning and it was my fault. I left the MAP sensor unplugged which fixed the noise. The jerking was unrelated to that and was the engine mounts coming apart. All your answers and suggestions were much appreciated.