How to fix a Leaking fuel rail [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a Leaking fuel rail

mike2kme
07-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi guys, i'm Mike.

I have a 1999 Grand am GT coupe. Intake manifolds got done 4 years ago and are doing great.

Another thing that was replaced were the two fuel rail o-rings.

For the past 3 weeks i have had a light raw fuel smell come from the car when parked or even running, i looked around and did not see any leaks. Yesterday I finally noticed that when i was into my garage it was a strong smell of raw fuel. I popped the hood and saw that the fuel pressure regulator's bottom was wet and had a a few drip marked that had evaporated. So i walked to the auto store bought an o-ring and replaced the regulators o ring (regulator connecting to the fuel rail).
And it was great, no fuel smell, no leaks. i drove 30 miles and the car was fine. It sat overnight and I drove it two miles today when I noticed a fuel odor. I got home grabbed a flash light and looked under the hood, the regulator was fine. but i noticed the second fuel line was a little wet as well as the first fuel injector i back. I looked right now and the first fuel injector is kind of wet. It looked like fuel has fallen from the top of the injector to the bottom but I am not sure. I dont know how else fuel could have gotten in the crevice of the injector by the o-ring.

Tomorrow i will walk to the auto store and buy a new o-ring for the other fuel line.

But I am still not sure if its just the fuel line o-ring or and injector o-ring.

Is it possible that the injector is leaking ?

Would it be possible for fuel to leak from the top of the injector to the bottom ?

What kind of diagnostics should I do before I dismantle anything ?

is this a known problem ?

Thank you guys, your time and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

-Mike

HOYS
08-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Take it apart and pop the rail out of the LIM but keep all the lines connected. An injector might come out, put it back in the rail.

Prime the fuel system (key to on and then off, hopefully with a helper doing this) and inspect the fuel rail and lines to see where it is leaking.

Fix that and re assemble.

chris_gt_74
08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
When the fuel leaks it is important for you to find out the reason for its leaking and den think of it to fix on the right way. You can use a cigarette lighter and weld it properly. Make sure you are excellent in this task and you are also confident.

What?? Lighter + fuel = boom!!

DaRkWaVe
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
What?? Lighter + fuel = boom!!

I know, right? I thought he was just joking, but I'm not so sure..... humans are getting ridiculous now-a-days.

AaronGTR
08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
When the fuel leaks it is important for you to find out the reason for its leaking and den think of it to fix on the right way. You can use a cigarette lighter and weld it properly. Make sure you are excellent in this task and you are also confident.

:wtf Say what?! You can't weld anything with a lighter, and why tell someone to use a lighter with leaking gasoline. Are you for real?

You can't be for real, no one is that stupid... you are a chinese spambot right? Seriously, I have been torn on whether to ban you or not. If you are a real person... one more dumb ass comment like that and I'll ban you anyway.