Engine bay detail gone wrong... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay detail gone wrong...

GTfiend
08-03-2012, 09:41 PM
So tonight I decided to detail my engine bay... went up to autozone and bought a can of GUNK engine degreaser and sprayed it everywhere because I was told it would be ok literally everywhere in the engine bay... Well I started to see red paint show up on the brush I used. I guess a lot of red paint came off the ram air ducting where it says "RAM AIR" does anyone know what I can use to re-paint this? Is there a specific paint number and do I just use clearcoat after the paint dries? Im pretty peeved that I made such a rookie mistake because its all new ram air ducting! Any help would be nice!;crap

BJPbrandon2448
08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
So tonight I decided to detail my engine bay... went up to autozone and bought a can of GUNK engine degreaser and sprayed it everywhere because I was told it would be ok literally everywhere in the engine bay... Well I started to see red paint show up on the brush I used. I guess a lot of red paint came off the ram air ducting where it says "RAM AIR" does anyone know what I can use to re-paint this? Is there a specific paint number and do I just use clearcoat after the paint dries? Im pretty peeved that I made such a rookie mistake because its all new ram air ducting! Any help would be nice!;crap

grafxwerks.com makes an entire overlay decal for it, you can even get any color you want which is the best way to do it if you want it to appeal to your sight... with that being said you could just paint it... but its really not gonna turn out all that great if you do it by brush, but taping that off would just be a pain in the ASS!

TDavis
08-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I would never use a brush on my car, idc how soft it is, engine bay or exterior. I'd just use a roll of good ol shop towels and some Simple Green to clean my engine bay.

BJPbrandon2448
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
I would never use a brush on my car, idc how soft it is, engine bay or exterior. I'd just use a roll of good ol shop towels and some Simple Green to clean my engine bay.

wow...how off topic could you be? :applause: He is talking about the red lettering on the ram air shroud, you know the part where it says "RAM AIR BY PONTIAC" he said he accidentally rubbed the red paint off and he wanted to know how to fix it!

TDavis
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
wow...how off topic could you be? :applause: He is talking about the red lettering on the ram air shroud, you know the part where it says "RAM AIR BY PONTIAC" he said he accidentally rubbed the red paint off and he wanted to know how to fix it!

I'm not stupid?

Not off topic either, I was implying for him to use Simple Green and some good shop towels instead of a brush, yeah it might take longer since a brush gets in the little creavises but a towel IMO is more of a detailed clean if patient, plus brushes can sometimes be too abrasive no matter how "soft" they claim to be. I've cleaned over my "Ram air by Pontiac" plenty of times without it coming off and it still cleans the bay.

chris_gt_74
08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not stupid?

Not off topic either, I was implying for him to use Simple Green and some good shop towels instead of a brush, yeah it might take longer since a brush gets in the little creavises but a towel IMO is more of a detailed clean if patient, plus brushes can sometimes be too abrasive no matter how "soft" they claim to be. I've cleaned over my "Ram air by Pontiac" plenty of times without it coming off and it still cleans the bay.

I understood your intent lol. OP, most degreasers are fairly harsh since they basically have paint thinner in them and can even soften plastic. I would go with vinyl overlays as suggested above. Just wipe the plastic down well with alcohol or something before applying them so they stick really well.

AaronGTR
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah... GUNK engine degreaser.... that says it all right there. You are supposed to spray it on your engine. Not all over the plastic ram air shroud and everything else. If you have heavy grease build up on mechanical parts you can use that stuff. For everything else in the engine bay, you can clean it with just some simple green or windex and paper towels. :rolleyes:

1995quad4se
08-04-2012, 09:30 AM
The best thing for bare aluminum cleaning li,e the uim is wheel acid, horribly powerful stuff but provides awesome results. Ive used car bright select brand.

AaronGTR
08-04-2012, 11:57 AM
The best thing for bare aluminum cleaning li,e the uim is wheel acid, horribly powerful stuff but provides awesome results. Ive used car bright select brand.

You'd have to be very careful what you get it on though. With the texture on the UIM it would be hard to clean with any regular aluminum polish, but degreaser would work... might not get it as bright as acid cleaner, but would be safer. Really if you are worried about how the UIM looks though, best thing to do would be take it off the engine and clean it really well with brake cleaner, tape it off, and spray paint it with some high temp engine paint. Problem solved. It will stay looking nice and you can clean it easily with simple green and not hurt the finish. :)

GTfiend
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Ok so just to make sure I get stuff right this time... Simple green will work in the WHOLE engine bay ( plastics, Vinyls, etc) with no problem? What kinda dressing works best in the engine compartment ?

Starglow
08-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Ok so just to make sure I get stuff right this time... Simple green will work in the WHOLE engine bay ( plastics, Vinyls, etc) with no problem? What kinda dressing works best in the engine compartment ?

I love Simple Green...it is friendly to both living things and the environment and is safe to use on most surfaces plus it does a great job cleaning.

Starglow
08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
GUNK was known to eat carburetor gaskets back in the old days. It does a great job cleaning but I no longer use it after some bad and expensive experiences with it.

GTfiend
08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I was going to buy simple green but armor all degreaser and all purpose cleaner was on sale for 3.99...

msmith1956
08-09-2012, 03:29 AM
I love Simple Green...it is friendly to both living things and the environment and is safe to use on most surfaces plus it does a great job cleaning.

+1 on that! I've never had any issues using Simple Green, it's great stuff!