How do I know... LIM UIM gaskets [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do I know... LIM UIM gaskets

GTfiend
08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I searched the forum for a while before deciding to ask...

I own a White 2002 Grand Am GT with 112,xxx Miles on the odometer. I bought it in april.
I am the 2nd owner. seems to run pretty good. seems to have been taken care of very well inside and out. BUT... What im not sure of has the gaskets (UIM/LIM) been replaced? Is there any tell tale signs that the work was done?

HOYS
08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
The mating area between the cylinder head and lower intake will look clean if they have been done. If there is lots of weepage then they might need replaced.

GTfiend
08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
The mating area between the cylinder head and lower intake will look clean if they have been done. If there is lots of weepage then they might need replaced.

Ok... Im pretty sure it has been done then. :applause: LIM UIM both look clean and the gaskets look very neat and smooth from what I can see.... they are black... I dunno if that means anything.

MAC the KNIFE
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
dont worry about it as long as your oil is clean (not milky from coolant) and as long as you dont have orange drops or puddles under your car.

AaronGTR
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah, you just need to keep an eye out for several things.

1) coolant leaking on the outside of the engine around the corner where the cylinder heads meet the LIM.

2) coolant level in the overflow tank dropping.

3) milky orange/brown look to oil on the dipstick.

4) milky orange/brown residue on the under side of the oil cap.

Any of those could be a sign of a leak. As long you don't see any of those, you should be ok.

GTfiend
08-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah, you just need to keep an eye out for several things.

1) coolant leaking on the outside of the engine around the corner where the cylinder heads meet the LIM.

2) coolant level in the overflow tank dropping.

3) milky orange/brown look to oil on the dipstick.

4) milky orange/brown residue on the under side of the oil cap.

Any of those could be a sign of a leak. As long you don't see any of those, you should be ok.

none of that going on... Knock on wood. ever sense I read about that particular problem I have been really nervous... I checked all fluids the other day, The only wierd thing is when I checked the coolant I dipped my finger in and It came out with some kind of goop on it that was stuck to the inside of the reservoir. Other than that No coolant loss in the last 4-5 months, Oil life is very good... Doesnt even seem to burn oil.

AaronGTR
08-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah, the goop is normal. The long life coolant develops a layer of scum when it is hot and exposed to air. Only real downside to it.

sugar ray
08-06-2012, 10:33 PM
First up......Don't be nervous. A bad LIM gasket is not as bad as it sounds. My 02 suffered the same LIM fate as so many others. In my case, the "low coolant" light would come on in my dash. I would top up the fluid and a month later "low coolant" would come back. Could never see any coolant leaking externally on the ground as the bad LIM gasket was losing coolant slowly and internally. Oil seemed fine.

Then the light became more frequent (once a week) and I pulled the dip stick to discover the milky wave. caught it in time though. Changed the crappy LIM gasket with FelPro's problem solving kit and have been cruising 2+ years ever since.

Chances are, with that many miles on your car, a previous owner would have had to deal with the LIM. Most (not all) won't go that far before having LIM gasket issues. For the 3.4's it seemed to be not a matter of "IF" but "WHEN"

welcome to the site

GTfiend
08-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Just to get peace of mind about this.... Is there someone I can call to see what warranty work was done on this car when under warranty?

sugar ray
08-08-2012, 12:02 AM
You would more then likely have to track down previous owners or original dealership for warranty history. As for the peace of mind.........I am pretty sure the LIM gaskets were never warrantied or recall work by GM. I recall the 3.4 "class action suite" against GM were 3.4 owners could retrieve up to $800 in costs for a lower intake gasket fix. However, you would have already missed the deadline because you had to file by 2009.

In the end, very few people actually retained any $$$$$$ from GM's screw up and most drivers had to suck up the hefty bill or fix it them self . Some blamed Dex Cool as to why the gaskets failed. In the end.....the gasket material could not withstand Dex Cools alcohol content. Keep in mind. GM used the 3.4's in lots of vehicles from Vans, Grand Am's, Chevy Malibu's and Old Cutlas. They all seemed to have failed at one point. If your handy with a wrench it is not an impossible job.

However, I just think your working yourself up over nothing as you have no signs of a bad gasket. Just check your oil regularly and keep an eye out for the "low coolant" dash light. A bad LIM won't destroy your engine over night. It will be a slow process and your car will spit out warning signs that something is wrong.

If you would like to read up on GM's class action suite: http://classproceedings.ca/class_actions/car-parts-gm/

GTfiend
08-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Thank you everyone for the info. I feel less worried about it now. All that reading about the horror stories and pissed off people had me all worked up.