Power lock problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power lock problems

mwalt2
08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
The power locks on my Grand Am have been malfunctioning lately. It started with the passenger rear lock not locking. After a little while, that lock completely stopped locking and did not move when pressing on the lock/unlock button/power switch. A week or two later, the driver rear lock started doing the same thing and would only unlock. I switched around the 3 relays in the drivers side fuse box to see if I could find one that was not working, but they all seemed to work in any position for either of the front doors.

I bought 1 new relay (all O'Reillys stocks apparently) and switched it around to the 3 various positions. All but the driver side rear door started working normally. I took out the new relay and put in the old one, and they all worked except the rear drivers side lock. I got another new relay at another O'Reillys and putting 2 new relays and rotating 1 old one through the drivers front door lock relay spot still had all locks functioning besides the drivers side rear lock.

It doesn't seem like it's the lock mechanisms themselves since it's weird to have 2 fail so close to each other and the fact that the passenger side rear lock is now functioning normally (currently with the 3 old relays) when it had previously quit completely using the same relays. What else should I try to look for?

Also, unrelated to the locks, does anyone know where you could get error codes from the ABS system read at (besides a dealer/shop)? I am pretty sure my wheel speed sensor is shot, but I'd like to have an idea as to what side is bad instead of just guessing.

Thanks!

2000 GT Coupe
08-10-2012, 10:01 AM
The actuator could be dirty water can seep down causing problems take the door panel off and spray cleaner on it and move it by hand then try it.
And for the abs codes you can buy a program called obd2 scan tool to put on a laptop it reads pcm body control module abs airbag and a few others.
It's under $100 for one type of bus $130 for 2 and maybe $160 for all including new cars can bus.
Prices may be inaccurate the last time i looked was 3 years ago when i bought it

mwalt2
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I'll check the actuator's on the rear doors. Thanks for the information.