dimmer issues after LED window/lock/fog light swap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : dimmer issues after LED window/lock/fog light swap

optional toast
08-11-2012, 03:04 PM
yesterday i swapped in some interior blue LEDs i got from superbrightleds.com and i've noticed two issues, i'm wondering if some of you may have some helpful input on resolving them.

the lights i installed were:
3x NEO3-BHP - locks x2, passenger window
2x NEO4 -BHP - driver window, fog dimmer
1x WLED-BHP5 - shift light

i did the install during the day and i did not mess with the dimmer until later in the evening. at that point i noticed that when the dimmer was up all the way the lights were solid. however if i adjust the dimmer at all the internal lights tend to flicker and pulse until eventually settling down when i find a "good" spot on the dimmer wheel.

is this normal? i was under the impression that LEDs should dim just like the incandescent bulbs. in the meantime i switched out the fog panel LED for the stock incandescent bulb again and the flicker remains. perhaps i damaged the dimmer wheel? it doesnt seem to be the wires themselves.

my second issue is that the blue light put off by the NEO4 is noticeably different than that of the NEO3. the NEO3s put off a really nice dark blue, while the NEO4s look more light blue, almost turquoise. anyone else switching to blue notice this? is this the norm or did i perhaps get a weird batch of NEO4s? it still looks good but not nearly as good as it would if they matched

thanks!

TDavis
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I think LEDs when they are dimming down and/or dimming in general they flicker down in "steps," as in, they have stages of brightness until they turn completely off. They don't dim as smoothly as incandescent bulbs, dunno the reason. I never messed with my dimmer wheel I just keep everything at max light.

I put white LEDs in the map lights and floor light and I notice when I open my door then close it and wait for the map lights to turn off, they'll "flicker down" notch by notch until they are completely off. The incandescent bulbs just smoothly dim till they are off.

Idk about your blue issue. Maybe superbrightleds sent the wrong color? If I recall there is a light blue color and a dark blue color in the selection.

I just switch my locks/window switches to red LEDs and had no problems since. Then white LEDs in my map lights and floor lights. Haven't got to my dome/trunk lights yet.

optional toast
08-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I think LEDs when they are dimming down and/or dimming in general they flicker down in "steps," as in, they have stages of brightness until they turn completely off. They don't dim as smoothly as incandescent bulbs, dunno the reason. I never messed with my dimmer wheel I just keep everything at max light.

I put white LEDs in the map lights and floor light and I notice when I open my door then close it and wait for the map lights to turn off, they'll "flicker down" notch by notch until they are completely off. The incandescent bulbs just smoothly dim till they are off.

thanks for responding. yes, i am aware that LEDs typically dim in "steps", but in this case i'll turn the wheel down a bit and they will pulsate slightly brighter and dimmer and continue to do so indefinitely as if it is between steps and cant "lock in" to one. the thing that has me thinking its the dimmer switch (or possibly circuit but less likely) is that after i put the incandescent bulb back in, the incandescent bulb AND the LEDs both do the pulsating thing if the dimmer isnt at a "good" position (ex: all the way up but not fully on)

Idk about your blue issue. Maybe superbrightleds sent the wrong color? If I recall there is a light blue color and a dark blue color in the selection.

unfortunately these lights dont have a light/dark blue option, just blue. i'm pretty sure the color issue is one for their customer service so i will follow up with them. i was just hoping there may be a member or two here who have the same blue window/lock LEDs installed that have noticed the same thing, or perhaps it wasnt the same for them. i have a feeling i'll be getting a pretty generic "different bulbs different light temperature" response from the SBLED people so i figured i'd check in here first

optional toast
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
follow up post for posterity here. my dimmer dial was bad, i must have damaged it when i removed it to install the LED

i went to the scrap yard and pulled a switch from a similar year grand am and installed it in my car with the LED and the dimmer now functions properly. it still dims in steps (as it should) but without the flicker and it remains steady.

i still havent followed up on the LED colors with the folks at superbrightleds.com but i'll do that in the next week or so. if there is a solution or issues with the LEDs themselves i'll post here again. if they tell me "different LED sizes different shades of color, sorry!" type response then i'll let this thread die and anyone who runs into this thread can assume the above.

again thanks for chiming in