Quick exhaust question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Quick exhaust question

120Firefighter
08-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey everyone, i'll keep this short and to the point,
I have searched and read a lot of previous posts regarding aftermarket mufflers, and hopefully I'm not duplicating a previous Q&A. I just got a Flowmaster 80, went to 3 different auto/muffler shops ( 1 local biz, 2 chains) and they are telling me it is way too difficult to take off my old muffler and attach the aftermarket. How have you guys acctually installed the mufflers? I know our stock pipes are 2 1/4 & the inlet in the new muffler is a 2 1/2, so I'll have to get an adapter, but do I have to turn the new muffler so the intake is in line with the stock pipes or can I use elbow pipes? I had heard that you don't want a 90 degree angle on your exhaust b/c it can lead to that section of pipe getting destroyed.... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

AaronGTR
08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
They are full of crap. Either they are just too lazy to do it, or they just don't have any good welders. And there is no problem with having a 90 degree bend in the exhaust, as long as it is a bend and not just a right angle. And the only thing that will cause it to get destroyed is rust. The angle has nothing to do with it. That's how ALL the aftermarket exhausts are designed. That's how the factory F-body exhaust was designed. With a cross flow muffler. A 90 elbow going into a single inlet muffler, and dual outlets on either side going to the outlet pipes.

120Firefighter
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah I was leaning on the side of either they had no idea what they were talking about, they were lazy, or just didn't have the tools to do it. Thanks for the help!

AaronGTR
08-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I'd try finding a good fabrication or performance shop instead. They might not specialize in exhausts necessarily, but if they are any good they should have a welder and they should be able to make a custom exhaust and actually do a better job than any ol' muffler shop. In fact, a good one would be able to do an entire cat-back exhaust for you in 2.5" mandrel bent stainless piping. ;)

msmith1956
08-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, those guys are full of it. I worked at Midas years ago, and we did this kind of work all the time. It's no big deal .

120Firefighter
08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah I didn't think it would be that big of deal but they were saying that it required a whole bunch of pipe bending and that "these cars are very hard to work with, and there is not much you can do on them easily". That's sorta where I thought they had no idea what they were doing (especially after reading so many threads on this site). Oh and the one place, Monroe Muffler, didn't even have a pipe bending machine. You're a muffler shop and you don't have a machine? Nothin but the best here in Syracuse.