New guy from MI [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New guy from MI

electricityguy
08-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Hello...

I'm the new guy. I'm 30yrs young, and just picked up this 99 GT for $1500 with 113,000 miles. It had ASA 17" wheels when I picked it up, but I'm not much for the thug look, and easily traded someone for stock rims. The top photo is from the day I got her and the bottom is a more recent shot of her waxed up.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae180/chaz_ring/Before.jpg

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae180/chaz_ring/After.jpg

[ChaosweaveR]
08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
The wheels actually looked fine on there. :shrug:

Welcome to the madness.

TDavis
08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
How are those rims the "thug" look o.o

Also, you know your getting old when you call yourself 30 "years young" :P

msmith1956
08-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Welcome aboard! Nice car for $1500.

AaronGTR
08-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the site. Former MI resident here myself.

Car looks in pretty good shape overall for a '99. Looks like it's missing the pontiac dart on front though? I'd get a new one of those, and de-badge the sides... would look better. As for the wheels, I see nothing wrong with the ones that were one there. They looked pretty good, and 17's are better than 16" stockers. If you were gonna get different wheels I would have got a different set of 17's or 18's. Anyway that's my two cents.

electricityguy
08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
How are those rims the "thug" look o.o

Also, you know your getting old when you call yourself 30 "years young" :P

lol.. not old... and sorry bout the thug word, just around here black on black with beauty rings screams getto. I wouldn't mind 18's just simple and chrome is all.

I should mention that I only got this car for a work car, but find myself liking it a lot (aside from some of the electrical gremlins).

Thanks for the welcomes guys:cheers:

Fireball
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice man!
Where you at?

TDavis
08-12-2012, 08:13 PM
What electrical gremlins you talking about?

Also I'm not a fan of polished lips too. They have to be one color or no go.

electricityguy
08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
What electrical gremlins you talking about?

Also I'm not a fan of polished lips too. They have to be one color or no go.

oh... both window regulators, the radio lcd display only lights up when it wants too, and does not keep time(after about a week its about 5 to 7 minutes slow)

The car loves to lock if its left running... making me nervous about warming it up in the winter

Lately I've been having to give her a lil gas to get her to start, and then it runs fine. This is after I replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the MAF, replaced the plugs and wires. I'm not sure what to check next. Crank sensor maybe?

The TPS keeps coming on even though I have checked and double checked that all the tires are at the same psi and at the recomended psi, and then reset the sensor.

[ChaosweaveR]
08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Replace the headunit, problem solved.

Blacked out isn't what I'd call "ghetto", though.

As for the self locking doors, do what I do, detach the key fob from your keychain. Start the car, and keep the fob with you and lock it.

TDavis
08-12-2012, 09:27 PM
The lcd on the radio is the same for me, it is all fked up looking sometimes and then sometimes it works, but it doesn't bother me, I've learned to deal with it.

It's apparently a common problem with the GAs that didn't come with the Monsoon systems

AaronGTR
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah, on the older GA's radios the display would die after a while. The '97-03 grand prixs had the exact same radio, and a 97 GP I had the display died on that too. Luckily, I have an aftermarket H.U. in my grand am and I still had the stock radio with a good display and swapped that into the GP. Worked perfect. You could possibly find a used stock radio with a good display somewhere if you wanted to swap it in... but I'd just get a better radio. They are pretty cheap now.

cbr6racr
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Welcome. I'm a new guy from Michigan as well. Car looks good. I like the stock wheels over the black ones you had as well.

strictlyhids
08-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Welcome and nice ride