Unknown Coolant Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Coolant Issue

coops3855
08-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I just bought a 2000 Grand Am GT 3.4 liter.
Was having no issues just bought it yesterday, Today after safety i was driving around getting parts, then when i got home all of the coolant came out of the car from somewhere on the left hand side. I'm not sure where this is coming from?

All rad hoses look good,
Head gasket looks fine,
Oil looks fine,
Not leaking from top side of water pump.
(the way that it came out, i do not assume its the water pump)

I'm not sure where this is coming from
I have a suspicion that there is a problem with the reservoir, How might i go about bleeding the coolant system because there is no access to the rad?

If this is any other issues that it could be, please let me know
Thank you.

msmith1956
08-18-2012, 08:13 PM
There is a black pipe coming from above the water pump with a brass bolt bleeder fitting on it. Open the screw a little, and fill reservoir with 50/50 coolant water mixture until no air bubbles come out, then close the bleeder valve just tighter than finger tight.

ETA: it looks like this: http://www.meumonus.com/images/impala/tech/imp_help_extacted_bolt-02.jpg

GTfiend
08-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Is that the only thing you have to do to bleed the whole system? its that easy?

UndeadGods
08-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Is that the only thing you have to do to bleed the whole system? its that easy?

Yes but you might have to do it a few times

AaronGTR
08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Yep, that's it. There are small hoses running to the reservoir tank from the radiator and the coolant pipe on the drivers side of the engine. Those are to let air travel back to the tank when you are filling the system, and when you run the engine. There can be some small air pockets in the system that will work their way out the first 2-3 times you run it. Basically let the engine run up to full temp a couple times and let it fully cool off, and open the reservoir cap and top off the coolant after each time if the level goes down. Once it stays at the same level all the air is out of the system.

As for the leak, when you say the left side, do you mean the passenger side? It could still be the water pump. They don't usually leak from the top. There is a weep hole on the bottom behind the pulley, that will let coolant start coming out when the shaft seal starts wearing out, and that tells you it is time to replace the pump. After running the engine for a bit shut it off and check under the pulley with your fingers and see if it's wet.

It could also be leaking from a bad lower intake gasket. They tend to go bad right at the corner where block, head, and lower intake meet, as that's where the coolant passages are. Sometimes it leaks towards the outside of the engine, sometimes it leaks coolant into the lifter valley and gets into the oil pan and mixes with the oil. Definitely want to check that out. There are really a lot of places the coolant could be leak from, and it's hard to say where without something more specific of where you are seeing coolant. You just have to find the drip at the bottom and grab a light and try to follow it up to the source.

GTfiend
08-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes but you might have to do it a few times

car on or off when doing this?