IAT sensor BAD [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : IAT sensor BAD

patricio
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I would like to know how a malfunctioning IAT would affect the car's driveability. I live in Mexico and during the summer we experience temps between 100 and 115 every day. Ever since an engine change (1999 to 2005) I have had the following problem. During the winter I could drive to Alaska and back without a problem. During the summer, during the hot time of the day my car stalls (but restarts after a short rest). The longer the rest, the further I can go. After sundown, all is back to normal. When I am cruising (lots of air flow) it's OK but when I slow or brake it stalls. During these times, city driving is a nightmare, I but once I'm on the highway again I'm (more or less) OK until I have to slow for any reason...then out she goes, I coast to a stop and re-start. It's only about $17 to get a new one and i will but I am really curious about the IAT. I know what is does and how it does it BUT can it cause the car to actually DIE? Thanks to all who answer, obviously I am a DOOFUS!

sleepyalero
08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
ive never heard of one make your car die, i just know that it can make the car have very harsh shifts.

WidbyJ
08-24-2012, 12:53 PM
It sounds like the bad IAT is telling the engine that the air is cold all the time, even when its hot. In this case the ECU may be supplying to much fuel which can bog down the motor and/or cause it to die. Being fairly inexpensive this would be a good thing to replace just to make sure. You may also have O2 sensors that are shot which can lead to fuel problems also. By any chance have you checked for 'flooding', does the exhaust smell gassy???

AaronGTR
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
The IAT has nothing to do with fueling. It only controls timing adjustments, and it's only one of the sensors that contributes to that. I've never heard of the IAT causing a car to stall. They don't typically go bad either, and I'd think you'd be getting a check engine light if it was. But if it's cheap and you want to replace it, you can give it a try and see if it works. Knowing your timing it correct can help rule out one possible problem. I think it's something else though.