First post and question why my GA will crank and crank but wont start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : First post and question why my GA will crank and crank but wont start

Gtomike72
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone! Just bought a 155k mile Grand Am as my daily driver and since im a pontiac guy i wanted something cool as a DD. anyways...

The grand am was driving ok for a couple weeks but a couple days ago without any warning, the car would crank and crank but would not fire. I went inside for an hour and came back out to diagnose it but it fired right up. Yesterday didd the same thing only i was 50 miles away at my work and it took 10 attempts to fire. Today it did the same, it fired right over then died and then just would crank and crank when i tried to restart it. Finally after 20 mins it fired and drove fine all the way to work. Just hope i dont get stranded here.

Figured you guys deal with these all day long. Any advice on how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

msmith1956
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Is your security or SES light on? You might find some answers by checking out this thread.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87644&highlight=crank+start

Gtomike72
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
It has no trouble lights or any indication there is an issue

MAC the KNIFE
08-23-2012, 05:08 PM
i have no idea. dying fuel pump?

Metallman56
08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
mine did this one time, also with no warning and no light. in my case i had to reset my pcm. if thats the case follow the link that msmith1956 gave you. try it if it works awesome, if not we can go from there

if that did not work then my guess too would be fuel pump. normally when they go out its like your out of gas, but who knows. to check it all you have to do is get in your car with the radio off, and turn the key to on. you should hear a pump from the back of your car kicking on. it kind of sounds like a humming sound and it wont last very long. if you dont hear that sound, then yeah its your fuel pump. make sure its not the pcm first though, becuase iirc the car will cut the fuel pump if it thinks its been stolen.

Gtomike72
08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Well, I may have got it? Only started twice so hopefully it's going to keep starting. I did the security bypass with no luck and then I swapped out the horn relay fuse and put it in the fuel pump relay location, turned the key, heard the buzz and started up! Running to autozone to get a new fuse and hopefully this was the issue. Just don't want it to be a fluke occurance that the car started.

However, I just put the "bad fuse" in the horn location and the horn works so who knows. Wish I had my volt meter so I can test them (all my tools are in storage since I moved still)

mi coloradita
08-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Well, I may have got it? Only started twice so hopefully it's going to keep starting. I did the security bypass with no luck and then I swapped out the horn relay fuse and put it in the fuel pump relay location, turned the key, heard the buzz and started up! Running to autozone to get a new fuse and hopefully this was the issue. Just don't want it to be a fluke occurance that the car started.

However, I just put the "bad fuse" in the horn location and the horn works so who knows. Wish I had my volt meter so I can test them (all my tools are in storage since I moved still)

i have the same problem let me do the steps that you did

3800L67GAM
08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
i have the same problem let me do the steps that you did

My sisters grand am Did the same thing I put a new fuel pump in it and it hasn't had the problem anymore.