Am I being ripped off?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Am I being ripped off??

dmath1n
08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Fore-warning, This may be long.

I have a Grand AM GT 2003. About 6 months ago my keys started falling out of the ignition. This seemed to cause no problems until 3 months later when my car refused to start. The car had all lights dash and head, battery was fine, fuel pump seemed to start but no turnover or click. I got towed to repair guy "First $60" who assured me he would look at it first thing in the morning. I called him at 4Pm next day and he said "just got to it and it started so what can I do?" Took it home and 2 weeks later same thing. Another tow charge $60 and what do you know the very next day same story however this time i go get it and he gives me a piece of paper with a note for "Next time" GRRR try purple wire from bla, Bla, bla..Home we go. Now 1 week later and Bang gone again. This time different mechanic and another tow later 1 hour after tow it starts at his garage. He gives me a card for an electrical mechanic. So before another tow i go to the electric guys shop and he takes out the BCM which was clean as a whistle and he said their may be mildew in it so he uses sand paper, Cleans it, Replaces it and then clears all the codes that were in my cars computer $80! I drive away and as soon as i park at home the next day BANG again! This time I wait 2 days with no luck starting the car and trying all security resets, key resets Nothing. So another tow to the electric guy. He said it is defiantly my ignition switch and replaced it. $180 busks later Plus tow. Now my question is should my key is still be falling out after replacing the ignition switch? And was i treated fairly?

Sorry for the ramble but I thought you might like a brief history of the problems.

msmith1956
08-24-2012, 05:58 PM
No, your key shouldn't be falling out of the ignition switch. Key should only come out if in the off position in either park for an auto, or reverse for a manual tranny.

dmath1n
08-24-2012, 07:24 PM
No, your key shouldn't be falling out of the ignition switch. Key should only come out if in the off position in either park for an auto, or reverse for a manual tranny.

No i mean it was already coming out but should it still be coming out after replacing the ignition switch?

msmith1956
08-24-2012, 08:11 PM
If the key comes out in anything other than off and in park for an automatic, or reverse for a manual transmission, you have a problem. The ignition switch is supposed to have an interlock that prevents you from turning the key off in gear.

2000 GT Coupe
08-24-2012, 09:13 PM
If the key comes out in anything other than off and in park for an automatic, or reverse for a manual transmission, you have a problem. The ignition switch is supposed to have an interlock that prevents you from turning the key off in gear.

I dont think he is talking about turning the ignition off then pulling the key.

I think he means the key comes out of the ignition even when in the on or run position.

Again as mentioned though the key is not supposed to come out like that, usually it means the tumblers are worn so the key slips by them.
The problem with the start is because the passlock(resister) built into the ignition switch was failing, you could have saved yourself lots of money using this guide
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

As to the key, go get a new key cut I bet that solves the problem. Though I am unsure if your better off getting a key cut using the car vin or if a walmart blank will work, the reason I say that is because generally speaking cutting the blank just relies on the old key and cutting to match a worn key will just give you another worn key.

msmith1956
08-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I dont think he is talking about turning the ignition off then pulling the key.

I think he means the key comes out of the ignition even when in the on or run position.

Again as mentioned though the key is not supposed to come out like that, usually it means the tumblers are worn so the key slips by them.
The problem with the start is because the passlock(resister) built into the ignition switch was failing, you could have saved yourself lots of money using this guide
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

As to the key, go get a new key cut I bet that solves the problem. Though I am unsure if your better off getting a key cut using the car vin or if a walmart blank will work, the reason I say that is because generally speaking cutting the blank just relies on the old key and cutting to match a worn key will just give you another worn key.

Thanks for posting that link! I'm sure it will come in handy.
I understood what the OP was trying to say, I just explain that it was not normal.