'04 Grand Am wont start. Need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '04 Grand Am wont start. Need help

Quicksilver7714
08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
First off I recently changed my battery as it died on me last week. But now my car will not start. it cranks just fine but will not turn over. I have checked the spark plugs and fuses related to; ignition, starter and fuel pump. All are good and the fuel pump relay is working.

Currently my Grand Am is behaving like the one in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzIWtP3deC0

It might start after 10-15 tries but most often it fails to start.

There is no check engine light and i do not have a OBD2 reader.

I am beginning to think that this is a bad fuel pump or possible the fuel filter needs to be replaced.

If the fuel pump is bad, how much trouble is it to remove it and replace it? Or can I have a mechanic do the maintenance for under $200?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

sleepyalero
08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
id do the fuel pump yourself if it is the problem, its most likely the same as my alero so, leave 1-2 gallons in the tank, unbolt/drop fuel tank. change pump, put tank back in.

Quicksilver7714
08-27-2012, 02:44 PM
How hard is it to drop the tank?

There is a heat shield and exhaust system in the way.

sleepyalero
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
ive never done it, but ive looked under my car, and its just two metal brackets you unbolt IIRC and it should drop.

mi coloradita
08-27-2012, 06:04 PM
the same problem to me in the mornings dont start

unchained_01
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Have the pump pressure checked at the manfold Did you replace the filter? You also need the FPR suck tested and go from there

mi coloradita
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
they told me that it can be the fuel pressure regulator, i just change the spark plugs, spark plugs wires and all the coil pack, but nothing so it can be the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator