2003 Grand Am V6 - Coolent and Transmission Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Grand Am V6 - Coolent and Transmission Issue

Bordaks
08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Hello,

My wife was driving our 2003 Grand Am V6 home today, when the car began having difficulty changing gears. Clunking a bit, searching for the next gear, but once it was in, it was fine. A few minutes later, she says she heard a loud knock, steam came out of the engine, and when I showed up, the car had dumped all it's coolant on the street, and the reservoir was empty. It definitely was not oil, as the oil levels are still fine.

Oil level is fine, coolant level *was* fine, steering fluid is fine, FYI.

Thankfully it was just up the street from where we live, so I pushed the car home. I topped up the coolant, left it for 20 minutes, and the level did not drop. I started the engine up, it idled fine, left it going, the temp stayed in the safe range, and there was no further loss of coolant.

My problem is now, that whether in Drive, or Reverse, the car will not move an inch. The engine is revving fine, all fluids seem to be fine now as well, but it won't move.

I do not know where to go from here, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SeatreandGT2003
08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Hello,

My wife was driving our 2003 Grand Am V6 home today, when the car began having difficulty changing gears. Clunking a bit, searching for the next gear, but once it was in, it was fine. A few minutes later, she says she heard a loud knock, steam came out of the engine, and when I showed up, the car had dumped all it's coolant on the street, and the reservoir was empty. It definitely was not oil, as the oil levels are still fine.

Oil level is fine, coolant level *was* fine, steering fluid is fine, FYI.

Thankfully it was just up the street from where we live, so I pushed the car home. I topped up the coolant, left it for 20 minutes, and the level did not drop. I started the engine up, it idled fine, left it going, the temp stayed in the safe range, and there was no further loss of coolant.

My problem is now, that whether in Drive, or Reverse, the car will not move an inch. The engine is revving fine, all fluids seem to be fine now as well, but it won't move.

I do not know where to go from here, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ya your trany is finished... need to be replaced!!! normal that everything runs fine but when it does not switch gears its done with... :(

sleepyalero
08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
the coolant could have boiled up for some odd reason and poured out of the over flow tube. its happened to me once.

as for the tranny.. kinda sounds like tranny is going... when you put it in drive does it act like it's in neutral when you push the gas? same for Reverse?

Bordaks
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
the coolant could have boiled up for some odd reason and poured out of the over flow tube. its happened to me once.

as for the tranny.. kinda sounds like tranny is going... when you put it in drive does it act like it's in neutral when you push the gas? same for Reverse?

When the car is in neutral, it can be pushed no problem, and rolls down my driveway, which has an incline.

When in drive, it does not move, forward or back.

When in reverse, it does not move, forward or backwards.

Then I put it back in neutral, and it rolls down my driveway just from it's own weight.

sleepyalero
08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
hmm hate to say it but it does sound like your tranny broke its last leg. :(

check your tranny fuild, check for tranny leak, your clutches inside could be done for, or even the torque converter could be going out/if not already dead as well.. tough to say other then the transmission is probably toast.

Bordaks
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
hmm hate to say it but it does sound like your tranny broke its last leg. :(

check your tranny fuild, check for tranny leak, your clutches inside could be done for, or even the torque converter could be going out/if not already dead as well.. tough to say other then the transmission is probably toast.

Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to check for anything beyond a leak, and there is nothing new spilled in my driveway currently.

If a repair costs more then $500 or so, I'm just going to buy a new car. Was trying to drive this one until it died, my wife is due in a month and I was loving the savings. Such is life.;crap

sleepyalero
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to check for anything beyond a leak, and there is nothing new spilled in my driveway currently.

If a repair costs more then $500 or so, I'm just going to buy a new car. Was trying to drive this one until it died, my wife is due in a month and I was loving the savings. Such is life.;crap

congrats on the baby, one thing i dont understand.... people who want to "save" money. honestly you could get a used tranny from a junkyard, and have a shop install it, or get a rebuild for 900-1500$ (depending on who you know/find)

people think they are saving money by getting rid of a car that has a decently expensive repair, and buying a new car. well think about it, you want to save money, you will get roughly 800-1500$ for the car with a blown transmission, then turn around and buy say a 5-10k car. well there you are spending WAY more then you would on just replacing the transmission, if i were you i would just get the transmission fixed, yeah its gonna be some money, but not as much as a new car, that will also start having problems down the road (face it, all cars do) and its just gonna be more money.

not trying to be rude, just ive heard many people say they want to save money then they have a car break down with an expensive issue, get rid of the car, and buy a new car.. when they could just fix the problem with the old car and save more money then buying a new car.

just my thoughts, best of luck though!