Instructions on how to replace front wheel bearings [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Instructions on how to replace front wheel bearings

jlocher1
08-28-2012, 12:26 PM
I am about to replace both front wheel bearings on my 2002 Grand am Gt and I was looking on here to try and find instructions. I would greatly appreciate if someone could guide me through it, or refer me to a previous post. Pictures would be amazing if possible. Thanks!

sleepyalero
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
honestly its very easy, on the front you pull off the wheel, then you got the brake assemb, unbolt the caliper and take it off the rotor, i just set the caliper on some wood so its not hanging by the brake line. slide the rotor off, then take the big nut off (cant miss it) that sits in front of the hub. then is what i do there are 3 bolts on the back and an ABS sensor plug. un plug it, turn the wheel all the way right, un bolt 2 bolts, then turn wheel all the way left and take off last bolt. (on the back of the hub) might wanna use some pb blaster and a small impact.

put back together.

make sense?

SeatreandGT2003
08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
honestly its very easy, on the front you pull off the wheel, then you got the brake assemb, unbolt the caliper and take it off the rotor, i just set the caliper on some wood so its not hanging by the brake line. slide the rotor off, then take the big nut off (cant miss it) that sits in front of the hub. then is what i do there are 3 bolts on the back and an ABS sensor plug. un plug it, turn the wheel all the way right, un bolt 2 bolts, then turn wheel all the way left and take off last bolt. (on the back of the hub) might wanna use some pb blaster and a small impact.

put back together.

make sense?

well said Sleepalero! aslo u can check there are Youtube videos online for sure..

jlocher1
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Yepp, it seems easy enough, i appreciate the reply! Do you have any simple tips that would make it go smooth? Also do you recommend I get the hub puller from autozone?

sleepyalero
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
no other tips really, no you dont need a hub puller. atleast ive never needed one for it. if anything take a hammer and hit it to knock it loose. you shouldnt have to much of a problem though.

Metallman56
08-28-2012, 05:12 PM
that "big bolt" iirc is a 38mm nut. double check that size, but i sure as hell dont have a socket that big. so renting one from autozone is what i did becuase a socket that big isnt cheap.

also if you dont have a impact get a big breaker bar. again iirc that nut is torqued down at 250 ft lbs. your not going to get that off with your normal wrench, unless maybe you jump on it.

there is a how to in here on step by step how to do it, with the specs i think i remember in it. thats what i followed when i did mine

Metallman56
08-28-2012, 05:28 PM
here is the how to

http://grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15474&highlight=wheel+bearing

oldschoolguy
08-29-2012, 08:00 PM
If you pop the centercap of your rim off, you can access that nut, and get it loose while the car is still down. it makes it easier to break free without the tire freewheeling

sleepyalero
08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
If you pop the centercap of your rim off, you can access that nut, and get it loose while the car is still down. it makes it easier to break free without the tire freewheeling

the car would be in park for the job, so the wheel would not spin freely?

or did i misunderstand?

fljohnboy
09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I thought the bearings werent repaceable and the whole hub gets replaced. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jlocher1
09-04-2012, 08:44 AM
FLjohnboy you are correct, it is the whole hub assembly that gets replaced. It was fairly easy to replace them, just took a few hours

oldschoolguy
09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
the car would be in park for the job, so the wheel would not spin freely?

or did i misunderstand?

I guess so hey.
I never really stopped to think about it. Just did, like when you undo your lugs. If I would've tried it that way I would've realised that.