question regarding fuel pump [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : question regarding fuel pump

optional toast
08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
main question bolded for you tl;dr types :wave:

so i think i'm having the same fuel pump issue i've seen many post about before. i've been searching like mad and learning quite alot from the threads i've found so far. since my car stopped working a few days ago my pump hasn't been making any noise at all when i turn the key (it's not the passlock issue) but just today when i tried first thing in the morning the pump DID fire up, but it sounds like its really struggling.

i changed the fuel filter as it was overdue and i'm going to do a little more troubleshooting before i feel safe buying a new pump to put in there even though im almost certain thats the issue. one thing i am wondering (and have not found using search) is does the fuel pump turn on every time you put the key in the ignition and turn it? or if there is sufficient fuel in the line will the computer know and not engage the pump?

if memory serves me right i believe it always turns on the pump, but its one of those things that is hard to be certain about in retrospect as you dont always pay attention to that stuff day to day.

as always any input is appreciated!

unchained_01
08-30-2012, 12:04 PM
yes pump is on at key on and have you gotten a reading at the rail for pressure ?

optional toast
08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
ok that helps

and i havent checked pressure yet as i dont have the necessary tools but i'll likely rent/buy one if needed. the thing about that though is when i went to relieve fuel pressure at the rail before i changed the fuel filter, i pushed the pin in and there was a very brief release of pressure and a tiny bit of gas. from what i've read around here i expected a bit more than what i saw. after i changed the filter it still wouldnt start but again the fuel pump made no noise when i turned it to "on". this was the last thing i did yesterday. i should also note i tested the relay (good) and threw in another relay anyway as i had a spare, made no difference.

i just went out and turned the key again, no sound from the pump. i went ahead and did the passlock bypass (just incase) and same result. the pump is just not pumping. i'm going to rent an obd II to see if there are any codes and rule out anything electrical, then replace the pump if necessary. sound about right?

optional toast
09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
i wasnt able to locate an OBDII in my area but i think im going to replace my pump anyway as so far all signs point to that. to be honest i'm surprised it hasnt gone out before. i've ran completely out of gas probably around 10 times since it was new, never changing the fuel filter each time, only when it was due for service (i know, i know... ;crap). when i changed the filter the other day there was quite a bit of residue, i can only imagine how much is in the tank. i might want to look into cleaning it while it's off the car but i dont know yet what that would involve = google time

anyway can any of you more experienced people give me a heads up on which fuel pumps are good and which to avoid?

KillNThrill24
09-06-2012, 02:19 AM
geez.... you gotta change those things more often and not let your tank run dry man lol its really not good for the car at all. if your pump is struggling i would check to make sure its getting the juice it needs to run in the first place. if youve got a short in a wire somewhere along the way it may be causing your pump to malfunction or not work at all. also if its struggling and youve got residue coming out of the filter, the pump may be clogged with crap. its hard to say, many things could be wrong.

but if your in the market for a pump best route to go is OEM replacement. no sense in putting some high flow aftermarket in unless your planning on modding later down the road. id avoid duralast tho theyre junk. id go with a bosch if its available

optional toast
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
yea, i know i've been bad. i've always been a tinkerer but i never applied this to my car for some reason. all that changed a few months back when my water pump died. since then i've been doing my own work and have spent many MANY hours fixing various minor issues that have popped up over the years, learning basic maintenance, and just getting a better understanding of my car. happy to say there's no going back now :)

it was my intention to check the electrical system first but i've been a little stuck in my search for info on how to do so in this specific situation. i'm going to hit search and the haynes manual today but if anyone has some tips please feel free.

optional toast
09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
can someone please tell me am i going to need to drop the tank in order to verify power at the pump? all signs point to yes as far as i can tell