Cruise Control not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control not working

jlocher1
09-04-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a 2002 grand am gt and the cruise control is not working. I originally thought it was because of the bad wheel bearings (the abs, svs, and trac lights were on) but after replacing them and having the lights turn off the cruise still will not work. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine, and the cruise indicator works on the steering while button, but not on the dash. Any ideas what this could be, or how to fix it?

2000 GT Coupe
09-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Have you checked or replaced the brake lights?
The cruise is affected by the resistance of the bulbs

Daven
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
This may be a bit obvious, but did u check to make sure everything under the hood is plugged in? lol i know nothing about how it works, but one day cruise just stopped working and i figured it was just it's time. Then i just cleaned my engine bay and found a plug hanging down the side of my engine that went into the cruise control modulator or something lol Plugged it back in :P Idk if it works yet, havent had the chance to try it out, but im betting that was my problem

jlocher1
09-04-2012, 09:52 AM
My brake lights appear to be fine, so I don't think it could be that. I tried checking everything under the hood and it all seems fine. I'm just stuck because it should be working, and I cannot figure out why the light on the steering wheel will come on but it won't light up on the dash, or engage. No idea where to go from here....

jlocher1
09-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I checked the wiring that plugs into the module and it is in fact getting power. I saw somewhere someone mentioned the brake switch. Wouldn't the brake light have to be on in order for it to be the brake switch? I have no SVS lights on. I'm pretty stumped, and don't want to buy the module and find out that it wasn't the problem.

Is there any way to check the module?

unchained_01
09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
The brake switch being set to close will cause the cruise to not engage. It's the same as being in cruise and hitting the brakes (making it disengage ) it doesn't take much movement for the switch to cause the problem just make sure it's not making contact with the plate on the pedal and the connections a the unit aren't corroded. Then test it

KillNThrill24
09-06-2012, 01:42 AM
my clock spring caused mine to stop working. cruise is for wimps anyways ;)

jlocher1
09-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Where exactly is the brake switch located? I removed the panel and looked under my dash yesterday, but wouldn't find anything.

fljohnboy
09-06-2012, 09:56 PM
On one of my other cars the cruise wasn't working. I put my toe under the brake pedal and pulled back and the cruise started to work. It was a simple adjustment on the brake switch at the pedal.