New Member... BIG QUESTION? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Member... BIG QUESTION?

gr8cars
09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Josh and I'm new to the forums. I have a dilemma and hopefully some input from some like minded autoheads might help. I have owned a lot of cars, over 30 so far, but for the first time I'm thinking of keeping one. It is my 2004 Pontiac Grand AM GT sedan. I bought it in 06 with only 13,700 miles on it. I sold it once and just bought it back again after 2 years. It was my intention to resell it again as it has 130k miles on it now, but after detailing it and servicing it I have started to get the itch to possibly keep it forever as a toy and do some mods over time. It is all factory original with no paint work and an absolutely gorgeous body and paint. The 3.4 is still in great shape and she is an all around peach of a car. 9.1 out of 10 on my scale which is pretty damn high for an 9 year old car. Here is where you all can help me out. If I keep the car, these are the mods I would eventually do over time, let me know what you know about the different mods, whether you think it's worth it, what you may think they may cost....etc. ANY AND ALL INPUT AND INFORMATION IS EXTREMELY WELCOME. I have many reasons to keep the car, but it's so ingrained in my nature to sell that I'm really having trouble rationalizing this. Thanks again for all your help.

Oh it's Bright RED and "Perfect" completely factory with no current upgrades

Mods:

Replace factory hood with SC/T ram air hood

Replace factory chrome plated rims with 5 star Grand Prix GTP chromes (other ideas welcome)

Replace factory black side mirrors with painted red air flow mirrors (99-02 gt mirrors)

***When my 3.4L goes*** replace with 3.8L supercharged (BIG ONE Lots of INFO Please)

IF YOU DISAGREE WITH REPLACING THE ENGINE LET ME KNOW WHY

Replace headlamps with HID or equivalent bulbs

Replace all Badges with all BLACK badges

Custom made dash cover Black with red stitches suede

Custom Stereo integrated with Tablet and Smartphone docks

Custom interior or SC/T leather interior

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!

tipnitty
09-10-2012, 10:18 AM
If the car is in as good of shape as you say, I say keep it as a daily driver and save your money for something better. All the money you want to dump into the car can be spent on an actual toy, say and F-body car.

These cars have terrible resale value and parts for these car are long past their prime. So finding quality parts is expensive, and sometimes difficult.

Welcome to the site, just keep it a DD car and safe your money.

young gun
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Mods:

Replace factory hood with SC/T ram air hood yes

Replace factory chrome plated rims with 5 star Grand Prix GTP chromes (other ideas welcome) ok but aftermarkets look better. Such as AT Italia Inox's(18's) Eagle 077 series (18's) TSW Vortex (18's) Or check the GA ultimate picture thread for others that are good

Replace factory black side mirrors with painted red air flow mirrors (99-02 gt mirrors) Good stuff

***When my 3.4L goes*** replace with 3.8L supercharged (BIG ONE Lots of INFO Please) WHERE THE FUDGE DID THIS COME FROM. YOU WERE SO PROMISING. COME IN AND SAY YOU LIKE THE GA AND YOU KNOW ITS NOT A PRACTICAL CAR TO MOD OR THAT IT WILL BE RUNNNING 10's IN THE QUARTER BUT THEN THIS **** I CANT TAKE IT!!! In other news the thing these days is to swap in the 3500 from G6's and others with the engine code LX9 as it does not have vvt. Good power boost from the get go and easy to add a couple mods while swapping

IF YOU DISAGREE WITH REPLACING THE ENGINE LET ME KNOW WHY

Replace headlamps with HID or equivalent bulbs Retrofit projectors with HIDs in the stock or clear corner housings

Replace all Badges with all BLACK badges Debadge not rebadge

Custom made dash cover Black with red stitches suede meh overkill for an old car just dye it black and do red accents. VERY VERY LIGHT ACCENTS NOT EVERYWHERE LIKE CIVIC RACERBOYS

Custom Stereo integrated with Tablet and Smartphone docks overkill again. Simple touch screen headunit or widescreen unit will do

Custom interior or SC/T leather interior SC/T leather interior?

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!

:jackson

TDavis
09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
About the badges.

I would either debadge or recolor them the same color they where before.

Only reason I don't debadge mine is because I feel they add some nice contrast to the vehicle. Plus these badges have color to them unlike my Z24 that has just regular silver looking plain badges and on my Z24 I did debadge it.

I know a debadged car can look clean but for now I like how they looks now.

sleepyalero
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
f-body people are roosters.

dont do 3.8 swap, alot of people dont think its worth the time. either keep a 3.4L in it or move up to a 3.5L. you can get a "new" motor cheap of either or. you wanna spend say 600 on a motor? or you wanna pay 2k plus for a new car.... you do the math.

tipnitty
09-10-2012, 02:11 PM
f-body people are roosters.

dont do 3.8 swap, alot of people dont think its worth the time. either keep a 3.4L in it or move up to a 3.5L. you can get a "new" motor cheap of either or. you wanna spend say 600 on a motor? or you wanna pay 2k plus for a new car.... you do the math.

http://mob464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/Jeffg0107/Smiley/Suicide.gif?t=1242114012

AaronGTR
09-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Most of the stuff you are thinking of doing is pretty cheap and basic... except the 3.8 swap. Forget that right now. It's expensive, difficult, and a huge waste of time. Stick with the 3.4 if it's in good shape. If you really need a new motor, swap in a 3500.

There are way better looking wheels you could get than stock GP wheels also.