Cam sensor wire diagram [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor wire diagram

ttdkiosk
09-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Got a CAM sensor problem. The sensor is currently unplugged because it's shorting out the PCM or something causing it to have random stalls. I've replaced the sensor twice, first one was aftermarket, second one is Delphi but it didn't make any difference. I've checked the wires at the sensor and determined the sensor is working correctly but I think either the PCM or the signal wire to the PCM is bad.

I know the sensor is causing the stall because I've been hunting this stall down over the past couple months, replaced other parts like the ICM, MAF, 24x and 7x sensor and finally unplugged the CAM sensor and all my problems went away. I was just wondering if anyone knows what pin # the CAM sensor signal is on the PCM or any other tests I can do. Thanks!

AaronGTR
09-12-2012, 04:52 PM
The PCM uses the cam sensor signal for injector timing for the sequential fuel injection. If the sensor isn't functioning properly it will through off the injector timing and that could certainly make the engine run rough or stall. Were you getting and DTC codes with that problem?

They used three different cam sensors through the years on the 3400 engine (97-99, 00-02, 03-05) so I'm not sure if your pins will be in the same positions...

But according to my 2000 manual, the cam position sensor signal is pin #7 (wire color brown/white) on the C1 connector (blue) for the PCM. The CMP sensor positive voltage wire is pin #72 (red/white wire) on connector C2 (clear), and the CMP sensor ground is pin #73 (black wire)on C2.

On the connector on the harness for the cam sensor, looking at the connector end with the clip on top, from left to right is positive/sensor signal/ground. Again though, yours may be different because the wire positions changed with the different sensors across years.

ttdkiosk
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
The PCM uses the cam sensor signal for injector timing for the sequential fuel injection. If the sensor isn't functioning properly it will through off the injector timing and that could certainly make the engine run rough or stall. Were you getting and DTC codes with that problem?

They used three different cam sensors through the years on the 3400 engine (97-99, 00-02, 03-05) so I'm not sure if your pins will be in the same positions...

But according to my 2000 manual, the cam position sensor signal is pin #7 (wire color brown/white) on the C1 connector (blue) for the PCM. The CMP sensor positive voltage wire is pin #72 (red/white wire) on connector C2 (clear), and the CMP sensor ground is pin #73 (black wire)on C2.

On the connector on the harness for the cam sensor, looking at the connector end with the clip on top, from left to right is positive/sensor signal/ground. Again though, yours may be different because the wire positions changed with the different sensors across years.
Sweet thanks! Yea I had a cam sensor code with it plugged in and it'd mostly only stall from cold to full warm up but would mostly go away once warm. I'll have to check those connections. I knew about how the cam sensor affects the timing, etc from some posts you made in other threads.

ttdkiosk
09-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Wire resistances all checked out fine and the sensor is getting the proper voltage. I can only assume the PCM is faulty so I ordered a custom tuned one. I had the stock one reflashed at the dealer a few weeks ago and that didn't fix it.