Door Jamb Switch Problem?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Door Jamb Switch Problem??

msmith1956
09-12-2012, 06:58 AM
I've noticed that every once in a while that after stopping, and turning the car off, the radio doesn't turn off when I open the door. When this happens, the door lock will actuate immediately when you press the button instead of chiming for a delayed lock. I was thinking I might have a door jamb switch that needs cleaning/replacing, but I don't see one in the door jamb area. Is the switch integrated with the door latch, or door handle on this car? I have found the if I get out of the car, close the door and reopen it, the radio will then shut off, and door lock returns to normal. Any suggestions for what might be causing this?

grandun2
09-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I have this same exact situation happening with my car. Whenever I turn the car off and open the door the radio stays on and the automatic door lock chime does not operate when I go to lock the doors. After shutting the door and reopening two or three times then the radio shuts off and the automatic door lock chimes will start.

I have noticed that in the door panel where it meets the latch on the body frame there is like a black hard rubber lever that you can push up or down and when I push it up or down after turning the car off the radio will then go off and the automatic lock chimes will start to work.

Here is a picture with a circle around the area of the door that Im talking about... 30830

So Im guessing that either the black lever is not freely moving like it should when the door is opened after turning the car off or has worn out inside the door panel and is not contacting good to work right. I might try lubing it with silicone and see if that works because I have heard that it can be a real pain the a** to replace it in the door panel.

TDavis
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh you all. With your fancy pancy newer model GAs with automatic radio turn off when the door is open.

I remember when it turned off when I turned the key off........oh wait. :D

msmith1956
09-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I know... it will turn off after 10 minutes anyway, but it is annoying when it acts up. :D