Rear control arms [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear control arms

Sleepwalkr
09-12-2012, 10:29 PM
The rear control arms on my car were damaged via a tow truck company when they stupidly wrapped a chain around them. The mechanic fixed it for me & I finally picked up my car from him tonight. Whenever I go over a relatively small bump in the road, its feels like the rear end is kinda wiggling from side to side. It only lasts a second. Then, on the wet dirt road, from a lot of rain today, it wiggled, slid side to side, and kinda shimmied enough to bother me and make me have to concentrate more on staying in the center of the road. Did the mechanic screw something up...not fix it right...or what? It didn't feel that way before it was damaged and had to be repaired. I guess I'll have to call the mechanic tomorrow and hope nothing falls off my car on the way to work in the morning.

Thanks for any help.

jaketuff
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
GO TO ANOTHER MECHANIC...

Clearly the first one is worthless and the control arm is not a rocket science type of repair. Sounds like it has a f'ed up bushing which would cause sloppy handling. But really a decent mechanic can look it over and determine the problem.

OUT

chris_gt_74
09-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Are you referring to the trailing arms? I thought control arms were only in the front. Maybe something else was damaged that wasn't noticed. Take it to another shop and have it looked over.

Metallman56
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
all you should need is a alinenment. your toe is either too far in, or too far out. i've had the same issue for differnt reasons, and know exactly what you mean about the bumps. it feels like the back is on oil or ice, but car still drives straight. its a very weird feeling.

your mechanic should have told you that a alinenment is a must before driving. get it done before your tireware becomes an issue.

Sleepwalkr
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
I dropped my car off at the mechanic after work tonight. He said it sounded like it needed an alignment too. He said he'd do it for free. I'm picking it up after work tomorrow. Hopefully it solves the issue. If not, she'll be going to a new mechanic very shortly.
Thanks for the responses.

Sleepwalkr
09-17-2012, 09:57 PM
The alignment seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys.