Please Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

Jeffy
09-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Alright so i have a 2001 Grand am GT, it has 275,000kms on it so i wouldnt expect it to go, but its still runs decent. But today its been acting weird, Im not an expert on a lot of engine stuff so bare with me. So sometimes (usually quite often) when I start driving down the street, my Spedometer will not work OR go crazy around the approx speed. ALSO while its doing this the engine is revving up to atleast 3000 rpm before shifting, then when it finially shifts it seems to fix the spedometer. Im not quite sure what the problem would be, or if it would be worth fixing. Im thinking of getting rid of it because of these problems, and the high milage.

FixxxerKH202
09-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Sounds like the speed sensor to me. It's probably intermittently failing. It would mess up the shift points as well because the PCM references throttle position, speed, and RPM.

Jeffy
09-14-2012, 05:39 PM
were is it located and how hard is it to do it yourself?

chris_gt_74
09-14-2012, 05:49 PM
The TPS sensor which is what I'm guessing he is referring to is on the throttle body. Two screws hold it on. If your idle is also affected while in park by high rpm's then the IAC could be bad. It is also located on the throttle body.

Needless to say they are both simple to replace and both are relatively cheap.

FixxxerKH202
09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
No not the tps on the throttle body it's the speed sensor on the transaxle.

Just google 2001 grand am gt speed sensor location and you will get some diagrams it's too hard to explain. Also are you getting any check engine lights?

chris_gt_74
09-14-2012, 08:56 PM
No not the tps on the throttle body it's the speed sensor on the transaxle.

Just google 2001 grand am gt speed sensor location and you will get some diagrams it's too hard to explain. Also are you getting any check engine lights?

Nevermind I found what you are referring to. This http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Transmission+Speed+Sensor/03247/C0033.oap?keyword=speed+sensors&year=2001&make=Pontiac&model=Grand%2BAm&vi=1374746

Jeffy
09-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Ok so I managed to have some time to take a look under the hood, and it turns out the IAC tube was disconnected. Idk how it happened but it did, so my car seems to run a lot smoother now. It doesnt have the same problem as much, since I re-inserted the tube(Lol) the spedo has only messed up 2-3 times. Im gonna say that theres still a problem with it, but it seems to have gone away some. Ill have to look into the speed sensor since that sounds more like what would be the problem. Thanks a bunch though guys, I was really close to getting rid of her.