Removing VHT? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing VHT?

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 02:12 PM
So... the Alero will be coming home quite soon. My tails are tinted with VHT nightshades but they like to fade quite often, so im just thinking about removing it completely..

My question is, what is the best/easiest thing to use to remove it from the tail lights without damaging the plastic? Anyone ever removed it from their tails before? People have suggested goo-gone before, but that doesn't work, what so ever.

Thanks guys.

[ChaosweaveR]
09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
That's why I stopped using Niteshades...actual paint is the legit way to tint the tails.

As for removal, I can't think of any chemical that won't hurt the plastic lens.

Shade2012
09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
So... the Alero will be coming home quite soon. My tails are tinted with VHT nightshades but they like to fade quite often, so im just thinking about removing it completely..

My question is, what is the best/easiest thing to use to remove it from the tail lights without damaging the plastic? Anyone ever removed it from their tails before? People have suggested goo-gone before, but that doesn't work, what so ever.

Thanks guys.

I doubt you will ever get it back to stock to be honest. That stuff stays on there pretty well. Just sand it down as much as possible nd hope for the best.

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
;1186918']That's why I stopped using Niteshades...actual paint is the legit way to tint the tails.

As for removal, I can't think of any chemical that won't hurt the plastic lens.

yeah, i need to use actual paint, but afraid that ill do it to where my light wont show through lol.

I doubt you will ever get it back to stock to be honest. That stuff stays on there pretty well. Just sand it down as much as possible nd hope for the best.

i assume wet sand?

Shade2012
09-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes, wet sand.

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
okay, a buddy of mine just told me how he did his to get it off, he said use paint thinner, but be careful cause it will eat the plastic (already knew) which should get most of it off, but then it will be hazey so i need to buff them and i should be good.

he did this on his 3 series bmw.

if that dont work ill try wet sand.

still open to other suggestions!

Shade2012
09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Be really careful with that paint thinner if you choice that method. Also, you will want to clear coat them once you get it where you want it.

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Be really careful with that paint thinner if you choice that method. Also, you will want to clear coat them once you get it where you want it.

i want em back to stock color, why clear coat?

Shade2012
09-16-2012, 03:12 PM
i want em back to stock color, why clear coat?

To protect the plastic and itll make them look better.

TDavis
09-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Isn't clear coat what makes them shine?

I've always hated tinted tails that are a matte color.

[ChaosweaveR]
09-16-2012, 03:22 PM
The reason why my tails looked so good was that it had clear coat mixed into the black paint. Adds gloss, and makes it translucent. I had zero visibility issues with my LED tails tinted.

bobbys04gagt
09-16-2012, 04:30 PM
When i wanted to get the tint off of my tail lights i used gas and scrubbed it. It took a wile but almost all of it came off n did not mess up the tails.

stewartfn18
09-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I've always hated tinted tails that are a matte color.

...until youve seen a car with matte tails that looks good....

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 06:26 PM
...until youve seen a car with matte tails that looks good....

she actually looks really good with the VHT. :)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad58/natesalero/2011-06-11_15-50-34_298.jpg

When i wanted to get the tint off of my tail lights i used gas and scrubbed it. It took a wile but almost all of it came off n did not mess up the tails.

ive tried gas once before, didn't work to well for me, maybe i didnt try hard enough.

TDavis
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Those look like they are tinted WAY too much to be seeable.

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 09:26 PM

actually, you can see them just fine, day or night.

Smithkid21
09-16-2012, 10:15 PM

actually, you can see them just fine, day or night.

He's just really picky, and conforming like the rest of the community. lol

bricooper78
09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
What about the headlight restore kits?

Basically a wet sand, but they do have the sealer stuff that goes with it, and all that.. it works well on headlights, maybe that would work? I'm not sure, but it may be worth a shot

sleepyalero
09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
He's just really picky, and conforming like the rest of the community. lol

hhaha lol

What about the headlight restore kits?

Basically a wet sand, but they do have the sealer stuff that goes with it, and all that.. it works well on headlights, maybe that would work? I'm not sure, but it may be worth a shot

it could work, just maybe.

TDavis
09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm not picky. I'm just not a fan of tinted tails period.

If I could say something though it would be to make them more shiny. They still look to dull/matte to me, you see your shiny black paint and then you get to your tails and its like bleh, but its your car so ima hoe.

BTW nice snowflake :angel

sleepyalero
09-17-2012, 09:34 AM
BTW nice snowflake :angel

dont mind the snowflake, that is no longer there, story behind that is my buddies gf wanted to start a "car group" and she was obsessed with snowflakes so she had a bunch made, and you could either put that size on your car, or one like 5 inches bigger, i chose the small one. lol

it was on my car for about 3 months, then i removed it. now I just have an I <3 boobies sticker. lol

[ChaosweaveR]
09-17-2012, 01:57 PM
lol stickers.

I just have my trollface, and the RIP decal for my buddy.

sleepyalero
09-17-2012, 03:18 PM
rip one is always good to have, sorry to hear man. :(

[ChaosweaveR]
09-17-2012, 03:58 PM
rip one is always good to have, sorry to hear man. :(

Yeah, kid was only 19, killed in a hit and run on the highway. He helped a lot with how my GA ended up, both in actual mods done, and giving me ideas.

sleepyalero
09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
;1187007']Yeah, kid was only 19, killed in a hit and run on the highway. He helped a lot with how my GA ended up, both in actual mods done, and giving me ideas.

Damn, I'm 19. Live life to the fullest. Never know when your time is up.

stewartfn18
09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
matte tails dont look good on a black car. i pulled it off on my white genny nicely if i do say so myself

TDavis
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
You should of got some superLUX tails on the gen and kept them that nice red. Would look nice on white.

stewartfn18
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
400 dollars for taillights? no thanks not right now. they are nice but for 500 theres other things that make me faster and thats what im all about. for the car anyways...

TDavis
09-17-2012, 10:26 PM
If you wanted faster you would of went with the 3.8 R-Spec lol.

Yes they are $500 but they are made in Korea and are really good quality. You get what u paid for.

2000 GT Coupe
09-18-2012, 07:50 AM
blacked out tails can look very good in my opinion, this is on my svx, the real problem with the vht is that over time it can get scratched up and not look as good.

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/resized%20river%20svx%20pic.jpg

caraudiodave
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
I have removed VHT and more from tails. wet sand + clear coat = works

;1186997']lol stickers.

I just have my trollface, and the RIP decal for my buddy.

sorry to hear about the loss. I see those stickers all the time...it gets annoying when the sticker is 5+ years old. I lost my best friend too, and if I had a sticker for him, it would have come off no later than a year after his death.

stewartfn18
09-18-2012, 08:33 PM
If you wanted faster you would of went with the 3.8 R-Spec lol.

Yes they are $500 but they are made in Korea and are really good quality. You get what u paid for.

there is no difference with the 3.8 track and r spec power wise. they all have the same output. and i wanted the 4 cylinder for the turbo from the factory. i didnt want to have to add it. as for the tails, sure maybe the v2's are good, but ive seen a lot of v1's with led issues. still not worth my 450-500 dollars

[ChaosweaveR]
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
sorry to hear about the loss. I see those stickers all the time...it gets annoying when the sticker is 5+ years old. I lost my best friend too, and if I had a sticker for him, it would have come off no later than a year after his death.

I'm just leaving mine on the GA until it gets traded in. I'm probably not going to add a new one to whatever car I get.

1995quad4se
09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
First off matte tinted tails look like you were too busy to finish the job, make them shine.

Second I've restored many headlights in my detailing career and I would do a tail light no different. Air sander with 400 grit to chew through everything quickly, then 600, then do 800, you'll think you have it smooth enough but do 800 again, then move to 1000 or 1200 and do it twice, then do 1500 twice as well. As you go make sure your getting the bad stuff out so you will most likely want to get most of or all of the tint off with the 400 and use the rest to get a smooth swirl free finish. Then after the 1500 bust out the rotary a wool pad and some megs 205 (or your choice of cut compound) you will need to hit each light probably 3 times be carefull not to burn the plastic, this getts the majority of sanding swirls out. You will then move to a cut pad with the same compound and that should take 2-3 times and by this time you should have only buffing swirls left and hitting it with a polish or finish pad and some megs 105 (again your choice of polish compound) and polish untill you are happy with how many swirls are left if any. Then top it all off with yout choice of wax, remember to wax routinely after it help keep the yellow oxidation from ever forming.

Once your good and practiced at it you should be able to do a single side (headlight or tail light) in about 30 minutes. My first car took me about 1.5-2 hours so set aside and afternoon if you don't have much buffing experience. If you burn the plastic you might be able to get it out with more buffing but it also might need to be re sanded. All sanding is dry and some compressed air helps clean the sand paper and the lense after each light, i've yet to experiment with the final 1500 being wet.

sleepyalero
10-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Been away from this thread for a min, thanks for that jake. i still havent got around to removing the vht, i plan to soon though.

sleepyalero
10-19-2012, 02:16 AM
little update, for anyone who doesnt want to wet sand or use anything that will destroy the lense, i used gasoline on my tails, no harm done to the lense. heres a before and after, got my tails back to stock color.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad58/natesalero/B74CB6D9-31FE-4617-9522-C64495AAEBF8-870-0000002D03A8C060.jpg

and finished product.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad58/natesalero/edit1_zps5ef5c1b4.jpg

TDavis
10-19-2012, 08:02 AM
I honestly wouldn't of smoked them to begin with, they look perfectly fine.

But I'm also not the type of person who smokes tail lights.

bricooper78
10-19-2012, 08:09 AM
What do you smoke instead?? :heh:

TDavis
10-19-2012, 08:23 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img62/4418/hatesrdexter.gif

geldartb
10-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I honestly wouldn't of smoked them to begin with, they look perfectly fine.

But I'm also not the type of person who smokes tail lights.

those before's don't looked smoked they look more blacked out than anything. looks like what i ran when i had the Z26, some light did shine through.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/95blackz26/Beretta%20Z26/rear-shot-gtu-right.jpg

did the same thing the the GA but not as dark. these tails are sitting on a shelf now went back to stock
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/95blackz26/Grand%20Am/Picture-075-222.jpg

sleepyalero
10-19-2012, 01:12 PM
yeah they were BLACK. but still shined through, im just tired of the vht, it fades about every month and a half, and i gotta keep takin them off and redoing them. i did not use clear, but ive seen other memebers who did clear em but still faded... just took longer.

im happy with the stock color tails. vht is just tacky nowadays cause everyone around my town does it.. me and a buddy were the first one in town to tint our tails, (pretty small town) then about a month later... everyone is running around with it. and they just do it just cause its "cool" so it was pretty annoying. plus ive almost got rearended a couple times with it, ONLY when the sun is shinning on the ass end of the car, other then that i never had problems with how dark they were.

they will never be tinted again.

geldartb
10-19-2012, 01:26 PM
didn't really see anyone in my area with it done. regular tails look good enough for me. think i still got the SE tails i grabbed from the yard before they started getting GT's in. took the yard a little while to start getting 5th gens in the yard this was maybe like 5 or 6yrs ago.

sleepyalero
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
yeah im happy i finally got it off.