need to siphon gas tank, any tips on getting past the anti-siphon valve? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need to siphon gas tank, any tips on getting past the anti-siphon valve?

optional toast
09-27-2012, 03:52 PM
See title

My car has been out of commission for over a month now due to a bad fuel pump. After many related/unrelated complications I'm finally ready to drain/drop the tank and install the new pump when SURPRISE, i ran into the anti-siphon valve when trying to drain the tank. I've removed the filler hose and I'm under the car going directly into the tank. The tank is at least 3/4 full and my car is not on a flat surface so dropping first is not an option.

This was yesterday and I'm really starting to get pressure from the family to just take it to a garage, but that is going to cost me more than I can really afford right now. I believe today they're really going to push the point so I'm trying to get this done by tonight, I just can't get past the damn valve.

I've googled the hell out of this and sofar only come up with half-assed explainations ("see you need to get past the anti-siphon valve, then you siphon the gas") or info on other cars that don't seem to have the same system.

So is there anyone here who has done this who might know a few tricks? Thanks in advance

destroyer179
09-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I didn't watch the whole thing because I'm at work but this example might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IkTXXRKP8

optional toast
09-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Appreciate your effort but I've seen that one already and he doesn't give me any useful info for my situation (it's also for a '95 and mine is an '03).

Fireball
09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Not sure what to tell you... you may be able to drain some of it from the fuel filter end??

optional toast
09-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys but the family won and it's at the shop waiting to be done tomorrow. The price was right and it's a mechanic we know and trust so that is that.