Exhaust Installation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Installation

destroyer179
09-29-2012, 05:59 PM
So I recently a borla cat back from another member on here. The problem I'm having first is trying to get the old one off. I would like to keep the flange intact if I can but right now the flange and bolts have molded together into one unit through the power of Ohio weather. I'm wondering what people that have done this think is the best option. I was thinking I could get a new cat and just cut on the side that doesbt have the flange. Cut it out completely and straight pipe it. Or if I need to I have an uncle 2 hrs from my house that has a hydraulic lift and he would torch the bolts and take a reciprocating saw through the two pieces of flange so I still have bolt holes. I'm doing my best to avoid shops because I have no money so if any members in the Dayton area want to help/have the proper tools to help I would be extremely grateful.

chris_gt_74
09-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Have you tried PB blaster penetrate or anything?

young gun
09-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I could be reading this wrong but there are two flanges...one for the DP+CAT and then the (stock)CAT-back. So you cut off the bolts. Hit them with a tap and hammer( What I had to do ) and then the holes for the DP+CAT are open and you put the borla cat-back on which also has a flange and bingo your grand am sounds like sex... If i read your problem correctly

destroyer179
09-29-2012, 10:53 PM
http://imgur.com/GqTRZ This is the first piece of my exhaust kit going from front to back. That end with the three bolt holes is what needs to connect to right in front of the cat. The piece that is there now and the cat are fused with rust and it isn't something that pb blaster is going to eat away. My car is parked outside and it's dark otherwise I would take a picture. I'll try to put one up in the morning to help you see exactly what I'm talking about.

destroyer179
09-29-2012, 10:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GqTRZ.jpg

Image didn't embed the first time

chris_gt_74
09-30-2012, 11:05 AM
That's the resonator piece. If you can't get that flange seperated your only 2 options would be to cut the flanges off and weld straight together or get a new flange and have it welded on to the cat side. I don't know that I would weld it straight together though since it will make for more work down the line if you have to remove something. A new flange and a weld shouldn't be very pricey I wouldn't think.

destroyer179
09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I ended talking to my grandpa today and he's going to let me borrow a reciprocating saw. I'm going to try and get under the car and cut between the two flanges so I don't have to get any welding done but who knows, it still may come to that. I'll be working on this in the coming week and I'll update then. One more question though: If I cut the cat out completely will I have to somehow put an oxygen sensor in that straight pipe?

young gun
09-30-2012, 03:32 PM
You will throw a SES light and won't pass inspection...Keep your cat unless you know someone who can A) remove the code permanently B) Pass your car through inspection

destroyer179
09-30-2012, 11:00 PM
lucky for me Ohio no longer does vehicle inspection. The code I was worried about though. I have the saw now and with tuesday and wednesday off from work I am planning to get a lot done. We'll see how that pans out though lol

slw240sx
10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
you are in dayton. I am in dayton. I build custom exhausts and parts. I have a lift and i charge reasonable rates to install and weld up exhaust stuff on cars. so if you want it installed and dont want to mess with it give me a call 242-6392.

Jon

young gun
10-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Almost sounded like a bot lol

slw240sx
10-01-2012, 08:02 PM
only i am more real.

mfuller
10-02-2012, 07:39 AM
you are in dayton. I am in dayton. I build custom exhausts and parts. I have a lift and i charge reasonable rates to install and weld up exhaust stuff on cars. so if you want it installed and dont want to mess with it give me a call 242-6392.

Jon
I just wanted to note that Jon does FANTASTIC exhaust work.
I couldn't be happier with the work he did on my Alero when it was at MMS.

destroyer179
10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I just wanted to note that Jon does FANTASTIC exhaust work.
I couldn't be happier with the work he did on my Alero when it was at MMS.

Just talked to him today and he quoted me $60-70 which is pretty hard to pass up considering how much trouble I would have to go through without proper equipment. Glad to know that he has a good reputation too.

2000 GT Coupe
10-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Damn that isn't a reasonable rate that's a f*cking steal