1999 GaGt grinding in front end.. Not Wheel bearing? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1999 GaGt grinding in front end.. Not Wheel bearing?

suctoes
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Hey everyone, I have searched for the answer to my problem to no avail. I have been searching for a GaGt for my 15yr old son as his firs car for some time. He has said it's the car he wants since he was about 12. :D Anyway, I found one from a person about 4hrs from home and went to look at it. When I drove it it sounded like it had a LOUD, very LOUD wheel bearing problem. So we took it to a repair shop to check out the wheel bearings. They put the car on a lift with it running and in gear. Then used a mechanics stethoscope to check the wheel bearings both bearings were quiet. Then They put the stethoscope on the bottom of the trans and wow, the noise sounded like it was in the transmission..?? The car Drives great and shifts fine and is super tight otherwise. Is the transmission shot or could it be something else? There are no SES, ABS, or TRAC lights on.

sleepyalero
09-30-2012, 09:06 PM
honestly could be something else, idk what though, need more info, is it a grinding? or what ? describe the noise more.

3800L67GAM
10-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey everyone, I have searched for the answer to my problem to no avail. I have been searching for a GaGt for my 15yr old son as his firs car for some time. He has said it's the car he wants since he was about 12. :D Anyway, I found one from a person about 4hrs from home and went to look at it. When I drove it it sounded like it had a LOUD, very LOUD wheel bearing problem. So we took it to a repair shop to check out the wheel bearings. They put the car on a lift with it running and in gear. Then used a mechanics stethoscope to check the wheel bearings both bearings were quiet. Then They put the stethoscope on the bottom of the trans and wow, the noise sounded like it was in the transmission..?? The car Drives great and shifts fine and is super tight otherwise. Is the transmission shot or could it be something else? There are no SES, ABS, or TRAC lights on.

It could be the torque converter because mine makes allot of noise does it make a slosh noise with grinding sound?

slw240sx
10-01-2012, 07:03 PM

its a grand am, you should be able to find one with out noises with out having to travel 4 hours!! check craigslist

[ChaosweaveR]
10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
its a grand am, you should be able to find one with out noises with out having to travel 4 hours!! check craigslist

This. They're a dime a dozen.