Control arms [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Control arms

chris_gt_74
10-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I came accross a set of 99 aluminum control arms and I have to ask should I get them? I have an 05 gt with just shy of 100K and I've been considering replacing the ball joints but this may be a better way to go especially at the price I can get them at. Are they going to be a direct fit? They are new with stock bushings and ball joints.

AaronGTR
10-04-2012, 09:40 PM
yes, they will be a direct fit.

If the price is right and you were going to be replacing the fronts anyhow because of worn out ball joints and/or bushings, then they would be a good deal. Especially if they have new ball joints and bushings on them, or low miles/in good condition.

They won't make a huge difference in handling, but they do make a difference. The lower unsprung weight allows the suspension to react quicker to changes in the road like bumps and such, and makes it easier for the spring and strut to control the suspension motion. It's hard to quantify the difference or really feel it, but it should ride better.

chris_gt_74
10-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Good because I bought them lol.

young gun
10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Ball joints for the Alum are different then the stamped steel btw..

chris_gt_74
10-04-2012, 11:55 PM

Yeah I saw that while reading around but these already have the bushings and ball joints on them.

young gun
10-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah I saw that while reading around but these already have the bushings and ball joints on them.

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i59/5/6/22/frabz-Touche-Good-Sir-e86ec6.jpg

AaronGTR
10-05-2012, 04:04 PM

I've heard people say that... but I'm not so sure. I've had both arms in my possession and saw no difference between them. I suppose only way to tell for sure would be to drill out the rivets on a steel set and take the ball joints out and measure them. The ones on the AL arms mount to the outside surface, and the ones in the steel arms are sandwiched between the two sides of the arm, so the mounting flange might be different. You can't see it very well though while it's mounted in the arm.

but anyway yeah, since he bought brand new complete arms he doesn't need ball joints so it doesn't matter.

chris_gt_74
10-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Well I got em today.

WidbyJ
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Very nice! I paid that for a used set and then installed the poly bushing set... well worth it, I promise you'll feel a difference. Cheers!

Fireball
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm horrendously jealous...

chris_gt_74
10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm horrendously jealous...

I was randomly looking at parts on Ebay and these popped up in the results so I jumped on them after making sure they were the right parts lol.

By the way, how are those OBX headers holding up? I may be back tracking some on my S&S headers. I'd like to have some work done to them like putting a v-band on them and getting the front and back lined up straight since for whatever reason mine do not line up as well as they should. I'm even considering going ahead and getting them coated so they will last me a while. But since I already have the S&S's installed I'd need to replace them with something cheap so I could still drive my car. I will not put the stock system back on that's for sure lol.

Fireball
10-11-2012, 06:31 PM
The OBX are still going... think I put em on at around 160 k?
Passing 185 k now so still going..

My major issues with them were all gasket related.... use good metal gaskets + throw out the crossover donut gasket for them... go to an auto zone or something and get a proper one... the one it comes with is like steel or something... no flex to it at all.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the case with all of them but double check the front header before calling it good, one of the primaries may touch the head/block area so you can bang it out before finishing off (heat with propane torch and hammer away!).

Mine is touching and it doesn't seem to be causing problems... just annoying looking/paranoia enduing!

No rust or real issues as of yet.... really everything I listed above is very easy to avoid (especially gaskets). The fitment issue hasn't caused me false KR or anything of sorts so if you don't hammer it out I don't anticipate problems.

chris_gt_74
10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I really think I'm gonna pick up a set. If I'm lucky it will bolt right up to the downpipe from the S&S's since they were copied from the S&S.

Fireball
10-12-2012, 03:59 AM
I imagine it should...

chris_gt_74
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
A set of these are for sale here if anyone wants to jump on them. http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155532