Valve Cover Grommets-I know, I'm a dummy [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Grommets-I know, I'm a dummy

BrittsBen
10-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm in the middle of a LIM/Headgasket job and was curious if anyone has advice for getting the valve cover bolts and grommets out of the valve cover? They'll move about an inch and are loose, just stuck via the grommet or some sort of hard plastic cylinder within the grommet. I have the covers off, heads machined, just can't get the bolts to even come out to remove the grommets) I tried using google to search the forums but didn't have any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Should I just use brute force to yank to suckers out?

03 GA GT1
10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
You can just pry them out or tap them out with a hammer. Don't worry, your not going to hurt anything. Maybe the bushing but you replace them anyway.

chris_gt_74
10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
If they seal good still I'd leave them in there. The replacements that come with aftermarket gasket kits suck. They don't snap back in like the originals. I think they are smaller is why.

BrittsBen
10-12-2012, 12:15 AM
If they seal good still I'd leave them in there. The replacements that come with aftermarket gasket kits suck. They don't snap back in like the originals. I think they are smaller is why.

I wonder if the newer ones are meant to be used without the little metal cylinder that covers about half the bolt. I got em out, not sure if they really needed replacing but this car is used and I have found many "geeker" type jerry rigged things on it so far so i figured best to use everything new. There was considerable build up around some of them (but that could've been from a cheap previous gasket change where nothing was cleaned going with the geeker theory). I tore it down to find the wrong spark plugs, burnt up/melted boots, no thermostat and exposed wiring lol so its been fun. Hell I even had to purchase 2 different socket sets because the first one broke on the internal cylinder bolts (they were on tighter than a gold bricker's butthole). Wound up getting them off with my wifes assitance and 1/2" impact socket and six inch extension on my breaker bar.

For the record, I got em off thanks to the suggestions! Used a flat head to pry up the outside parts which broke away with a little patience then pushed the bolt back in as far as it would go to expose the little cylinder and the remaining part of the gasket on the bottom (sort of looks like an o-ring) and plucked it out with some patience using the same small head flat head screw driver.

03 GA GT1
10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I got the replacement gaskets from AutoZone and they work just fine with no leaks. I have had them on there now for about a year.

Get the Felpro ones, they are a better quality.
Felpro/Valve Cover Grommet $7.99 @ AutoZone (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Valve-Cover-Grommet/_/N-93ycp?itemIdentifier=438725_0_0_)

FEL-PRO Part # ES71044 $5.61 @ RockAuto (https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php)

And here is a pic of one.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/shortcut-pagefile/GAOwnersClub/FEL-PROPartES71044_zpsc4337d02.png