newbie from michigan [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : newbie from michigan

bakeredition
10-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Howdy folks!

Looks like a great forum...I have a question regarding a problem im having...I have a 2002 Grand am with a 2.2 Im having an intermittent starting problem...sometimes it will start right up and then sometimes crank and no start...I have replaced the ignition pass lock cylinder and still same problem...any thoughts?

Thanks
Steve

msmith1956
10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Is the security light flashing when it doesn't start? Is your SES light staying on when it does start?

bakeredition
10-11-2012, 05:17 PM
thanks for the quick reply...security light is NOT flashing..when I changed the pass lock i did the relearn and it worked fine....4 or 5th time of starting crank no start... wait a few minutes and boom it fires right up..

[ChaosweaveR]
10-11-2012, 05:20 PM
The ignition cylinder has nothing to do with that. You just pissed away money for nothing.

Fuel and spark are what you need to go after, weak spark or low fuel PSI in the fuel rail, bad injectors and prevent the car from starting, the fuel pump may be showing signs of dying as well.

The Ecotec 2.2L DOHC (L61) is fairly simple to work with, the coil pack is one piece (the black strip that says "Ecotec" on the valve cover) and is easily removed and replaced if that's the issue.

When where the spark plugs last changed? AC Delco Iridiums and NGK Iridums work best with the L61.

bakeredition
10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I just did plugs and that did seem to help...gap was 70 on the ones I took out..did replace with the correct a/c delcos....fuel pressure is 59 lbs...key on and or running, fuel filter changed as well...car has plenty of power and shows no codes.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Run a higher grade octane fuel, and use a good fuel injector cleaner (Lucas is excellent) and see it that helps.

bakeredition
10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
could a crank or cam sensor cause this with out throwing a code?

AaronGTR
10-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Not very likely. Those are pretty important to controlling the ignition and injector timing, so if there is a problem with one the PCM usually throws a code right away.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-11-2012, 09:00 PM
could a crank or cam sensor cause this with out throwing a code?

It's possible. Check the connector plugs and wiring on the sensors, clean them if needed.