New to Pontiac, not new to wrenching [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New to Pontiac, not new to wrenching

Wgflatliner
10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey everybody.

I'm getting a 99 grand am SE 2-door next weekend. It's got 98k on the clock.

I am already making plans to eventually do a conversion to the GT variant, to include everything mechanical and aesthetic, and eventually the sc/t body kit.

I have already done a significant amount of research on what's required to do most of the conversion aesthetically, but not mechanically. I'm sure I will learn about it soon enough.

I am not new to forums in general and this will be a relief to some as I know how to use the search function!

My other whips are my current plus future projects. The future one is a 92 geo storm gsi with a 1.8 dohc four banger. I know, it's a geo but I have some plans for it.

My other current project is a 91 Isuzu Impulse RS, in which is one of 800 imported to this side of the globe. Stock, the car comes all wheel drive, turbo, intercooled, and handling by lotus. I've done pretty much everything possible to it mechanically, and its at a tuner shop that's going to get it dialed in on the dyno currently. Being the car is rare, there are no off the shelf upgrades available so it does involve some r&d and custom fabrication.

The next phase for it is body work and paint, but most of the body work is done but cutting out the rust, welding in new metal, shaving the door locks, antenna and drip rails on the roof. The bumpers are off right now getting worked on.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/stflatliner/Isuzu%20Impulse%20RS/DSC03713.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/stflatliner/Isuzu%20Impulse%20RS/DSC03712.jpg

And some engine shots

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/stflatliner/Isuzu%20Impulse%20RS/DSC01256.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/stflatliner/Isuzu%20Impulse%20RS/DSC02383.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting my grand am, and look forward to being part of the community.

BrittsBen
10-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Looks like a fun project! Good luck to you.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the madness. Hope you have thick skin.

I've seen one of these before, never realized they were turbo, AWD things. I do like oddball cars, interested to see where that goes.

TDavis
10-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Definitely keep us updated!

Wgflatliner
10-11-2012, 10:15 PM
;1189155']Welcome to the madness. Hope you have thick skin.

I've seen one of these before, never realized they were turbo, AWD things. I do like oddball cars, interested to see where that goes.

Thick skin? Check.

Regarding the impulse, there were also fwd non turbo variants that were more common.

I have a lot of money sunk into it mechanically and hope to get to 400awhp with it, and later on, up to 560awhp. Just waiting for the tuner to get on the ball. Not bad since it weighs 2800 empty.

I do have goals with the grand am, which is to eventually convert it to gt specs, and supercharge it. First things first, get the car, then start taking care of any issues that it has, then upgrade later. I am somewhat studied up on the trac etc lights due to vehicle speed sensors or the possibility of condensation in the passenger kick panel which I guess is where the body control module is at. I know the foam fresh air filter thing under the cowl probably needs to be replaced to prevent further condensation too. It also has a power steering leak that needs to be addressed.

Either way its going to be fun.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Is the Grand Am LA1 or LD9 powered? That alone will will dictate whether or not it's worth building.

Wgflatliner
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
3400 v6 is all I know at this time. The 170hp motor. Not sure if that means LA1 or not though.

Edit: definitely an LA1.

chris_gt_74
10-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah that's the LA1 engine.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-11-2012, 11:08 PM
3400 v6 is all I know at this time. The 170hp motor. Not sure if that means LA1 or not though.

Edit: definitely an LA1.

Meh...I wouldn't bother really going all out with the LA1. The LD9 has more potential, as the most powerful street Grand Am was a turbo LD9 coupè, he made 420ish HP to the front wheels, IIRC. Not to mention, the LD9 came with the F23 five speed. The LA1 was never offered with a manual.

My advice: do the SE --> GT --> SC/T swap, basic bolt ons for the LA1 and a tune, nice set of aggressive wheels, drop, throw some black housing headlights on it, and call it a day.

I just refer to GM engines by their RPO codes. lol

young gun
10-11-2012, 11:33 PM
The only thing holding back the LA1's is the god damned transmission behind it. It's simple, lol,

1- Swap in the F40 or the getrag 282 or 4t65HD(built of course) or be a tester and get the 4t45 built and find its limits.
2-Stock bottom end(ARP bolts if you'd like)
3-Boost+ported heads(turbo more likely as the s/c built for us are impossible to get a hold of and limit you to a lower power level. Or be cool and mock up a centrifugal s/c)
4-Tune

350-400HP with a good tune with no KR, hell maybe even more hp. run 13's easily with 12's in sight.

Easier said then done.

Wgflatliner
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
;1189171']Meh...I wouldn't bother really going all out with the LA1. The LD9 has more potential, as the most powerful street Grand Am was a turbo LD9 coupè, he made 420ish HP to the front wheels, IIRC. Not to mention, the LD9 came with the F23 five speed. The LA1 was never offered with a manual.

My advice: do the SE --> GT --> SC/T swap, basic bolt ons for the LA1 and a tune, nice set of aggressive wheels, drop, throw some black housing headlights on it, and call it a day.

I just refer to GM engines by their RPO codes. lol

I appreciate the advice. I may actually take the route to sc/t. The thing that got me to the grand am was the fact my geo storm is needing a rebuild and I cannot afford to not make it to work. My buddy got an Audi S4 and he's letting me buy this grand am for 1500, which isn't bad as it only has 98k on it. So I will daily drive the grand am while I rebuild the storm.

I may be a little ambitious with my over all goal with the car. It started from understanding the gt and sc/t have the setup for dual exhaust, whereas the SE has single exhaust, which got me thinking about changing the exhaust which helps complete the gt or sc/t look.

Maybe it's me being excited about getting it that's not helping me think clearly about my goals. I would be completely happy with the sc/t looks, dual exhaust, and turn it into a nice cruiser.

Besides my little Isuzu can be my power house..

young gun
10-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Maybe it's me being excited about getting it that's not helping me think clearly about my goals. I would be completely happy with the sc/t looks, dual exhaust, and turn it into a nice cruiser.

RIGHT THERE!!!

Unfortunately these just are not performance cars and to make it a contender you need to spend cash and actually love these cars. For most it is really not worth it. Just make it look clean and enjoy.

Wgflatliner
10-11-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm sure you guys have seen it a trillion times but I saw the white grand am with the sc/t kit dropped and tucked on 19s. Love it. But I'd like to see it in black!

sleepyalero
10-12-2012, 12:42 AM
;1189171']The LA1 was never offered with a manual.

it may not have been an option back then, but there is an option now, LA1 + F40 6 speed = heaven. :p i personally love the 6 speed swap. and mine being the 2nd only alero out there with it, makes it so much more special in my book.

no matter what people say about the la1, im still going all out on mine.

anyway welcome to the site man!

msmith1956
10-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Welcome aboard, and good luck with your projects.

AaronGTR
10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Thick skin? Check.

Regarding the impulse, there were also fwd non turbo variants that were more common.

I have a lot of money sunk into it mechanically and hope to get to 400awhp with it, and later on, up to 560awhp. Just waiting for the tuner to get on the ball. Not bad since it weighs 2800 empty.

I do have goals with the grand am, which is to eventually convert it to gt specs, and supercharge it. First things first, get the car, then start taking care of any issues that it has, then upgrade later. I am somewhat studied up on the trac etc lights due to vehicle speed sensors or the possibility of condensation in the passenger kick panel which I guess is where the body control module is at. I know the foam fresh air filter thing under the cowl probably needs to be replaced to prevent further condensation too. It also has a power steering leak that needs to be addressed.

Either way its going to be fun.

Interesting cars, and interesting plans.

Just fyi there is no cabin air filter for these cars. ;)

Anyway, welcome to the site. :)

Wgflatliner
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the welcomes, guys!

sleepyalero
10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
The only thing holding back the LA1's is the god damned transmission behind it. It's simple, lol,

1- Swap in the F40 or the getrag 282 or 4t65HD(built of course) or be a tester and get the 4t45 built and find its limits.
2-Stock bottom end(ARP bolts if you'd like)
3-Boost+ported heads(turbo more likely as the s/c built for us are impossible to get a hold of and limit you to a lower power level. Or be cool and mock up a centrifugal s/c)
4-Tune

350-400HP with a good tune with no KR, hell maybe even more hp. run 13's easily with 12's in sight.

Easier said then done.

actually a simple tune on the 4t45 and its a good tranny, MMGT1 knows all about it, he beats the hell outta his with no problems. GM has the tranny to be tuned as a "sunday grocery getter" basically

young gun
10-12-2012, 11:53 AM
actually a simple tune on the 4t45 and its a good tranny, MMGT1 knows all about it, he beats the hell outta his with no problems. GM has the tranny to be tuned as a "sunday grocery getter" basically

Its not terrible but throw power at it and tell me that lol. The point is that its not a good trans from the factory and the LA1 never came with a manual

Wgflatliner
10-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I've calmed down a bit. I just want a sweet looking cruiser and that will make me happy. Don't need all of my cars to be performance based.

sleepyalero
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Its not terrible but throw power at it and tell me that lol. The point is that its not a good trans from the factory and the LA1 never came with a manual

yeah mine went to crap, thats why i got the f40 swap lol

original poster: yeah i know what you mean. :p

tipnitty
10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
98k on the clock? not too bad. Seems like you have done some research.

SC/T02
10-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the site. The LA1 has potential. My issue was busting half shafts all the time before the carbon fiber ones were made for my car. Can't remember who I bought my stuff from as far as monster clutches, big 10 transmissions etc. But once it was built with the cam and all, I was pushing 377 HP at the front wheels and running a 13.1 on my 245 wide fronts. Wheel spin was the only thing killing me... It takes real money to get them running anywhere near that. Best 1 time run was a 12.9 but would pull 13.1s all day long. Pretty quick but when it was all said and done, I could have bought a Corvette.

Wgflatliner
10-15-2012, 10:15 AM
That's how I feel with my Impulse. I love the car for its rarity and the awd platform. In the end I may be dumping close to 30-40k into it, and I could buy a far superior car for that, but I like the rarity of it. I will likely be breaking stuff on it, but getting deep into the 12s in the 1/4 mile is worth the wrench time.

Wgflatliner
10-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Finally took it for a spin. Body is fine but needs paint.

I'll need to remove and clean the multi-function switch and I'm sure that will fix that issue with the random clicking turn signal noise. Also, the power steering has a leak that will need to be addressed.

Other than that, not bad. Price dropped to 1350 and now it's got 103k on it.

Getting a good interior detail and I should be set. Then it's going to be daily driven until I get all the two door gt pieces. At that point once I have it all converted to gt, it will get paint, then save for the sc/t kit.

Then work on other stuff afterwards like dropping it and tucking 19s, then a nice stereo.

I have plans.

sleepyalero
10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
sounds awesome man, cant wait to see this.... and 1350, damn nice.

Wgflatliner
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
If I'm going to switch to the gt pieces, do I need the entire bumper assemblies or just the bumper covers?

Also, what is the best shop or repair manual for these cars?

Also, are the door skins held on by two sided tape or are they held on by clips? Found a 99 gt in the local yards that I'm going to check out.

sleepyalero
10-19-2012, 02:41 PM
i couldnt tell you, because i own an alero. :p exactly the same as a grand am, just different body and interior. but everything else is interchangable between the two.

hopefully someone will pop in and be able to answer that question for ya.

mfuller
10-19-2012, 02:48 PM
If I'm going to switch to the gt pieces, do I need the entire bumper assemblies or just the bumper covers?

Also, what is the best shop or repair manual for these cars?

Also, are the door skins held on by two sided tape or are they held on by clips? Found a 99 gt in the local yards that I'm going to check out.

Just the bumper cover is all you need.
I think the side mouldings are just held on with adhesive.
I have Helm Inc manuals, which are the same manuals used by GM.
Some people like Chiltons or Haynes but I didn't find them to very technical.

Wgflatliner
10-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Just the bumper cover is all you need.
I think the side mouldings are just held on with adhesive.
I have Helm Inc manuals, which are the same manuals used by GM.
Some people like Chiltons or Haynes but I didn't find them to very technical.

Thanks for the info. Does the helm have a schematic that shows all bolts and stuff in terms of bumper removal, etc?

Wgflatliner
10-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Also forgot to ask. What year ga's share the same bumpers if I'm getting the 99?

[ChaosweaveR]
10-21-2012, 05:49 AM
1999-2005 is the same body.

Wgflatliner
10-22-2012, 09:31 AM
;1190510']1999-2005 is the same body.

thanks.

i checked my local UPAP (u pull and pay) and it appears there's several GTs available. i'm so looking forward to this.

Wgflatliner
10-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Getting car today. Research indicates they require metric tools, right?

Any helpful hints or advice on removing bumper covers? Maybe a trick of the trade?

mfuller
10-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Basically everything is metric on these cars.
And the Helm manuals are pretty detailed about where all the fasteners are.

Wgflatliner
10-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Basically everything is metric on these cars.
And the Helm manuals are pretty detailed about where all the fasteners are.

Awesome news on them being metric. Less tools to purchase. Getting car tonight! Man I haven't been this excited about a car in a while.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Nice to see a new guy that actually knows what he's doing to be excited about a Grand Am. lol

Wgflatliner
10-23-2012, 11:47 PM
The timing couldn't have been better. Got the car tonight, geo storm (daily) took a dump about 50ft from my driveway on the way home. So I pushed the old beater into its spot and called it a night. More news on that turd later. Pics tomorrow!

[ChaosweaveR]
10-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Set it on fire.

Do it. Do it and take pics.

Wgflatliner
10-24-2012, 12:05 AM
It will be rebuilt. I'm not a fan of wasting things, even if it is a geo storm.

bricooper78
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Geo is, Scandanavian for "kill it with fire"

so you should do it... it really wants it done.

Wgflatliner
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
no carbeque for this one fellas. maybe if i find another geo that's not the top of the line (i know.. LOL at that.)

anyways, got the tags on the car, got it washed and i cleaned up the interior as much as i could.

here's some pics:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/modelingmark/PA240001_zpsb902082b.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/modelingmark/PA240002_zps563e180c.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/modelingmark/PA240003_zps19d00dc7.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/modelingmark/PA240004_zps6cdc4165.jpg

i wonder if i should turn this into a project thread..

anyways it needs and i would like the following cosmetic things done:
interior:
multifunction switch needs removed/cleaned to fix the random clicking noise
both door panels: vinyl cracking at top of both sides next to the window
the red light/reflector on the passenger side door is broke
the dash is lifting near the windshield and around the gauge tops near the humps
shift lever boot needs replaced as it's cracking
remove the covers over the HVAC knobs and expose the red plastic instead

exterior:
paint
GT exterior pieces
SC/T body kit (eventually)
wheels (19" tucked eventually)
low profile tires
lowered suspension - debating on airbags or just lowering springs
tinted windows

stereo:
i'd like to get a nice head unit that plays cd/mp3 and has usb/ipod hook-ups, some nice mids and highs, and two 10s or 12s.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
No rust from what I see, and that's a plus. Body looks fairly straight too.

bricooper78
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
body does look good and straight, interior doesn't look completely trashed, you didn't do too bad

Wgflatliner
10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
interior doesn't look completely trashed, you didn't do too bad

It WAS.. Haha. I spent a couple hours on it.

young gun
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Add to the list black out the chrome trim around the windows. God I hate that ****.

WTF is up with the doors? i've never seen the seat cover material in the door like that...

Doesn't seem too bad. Make sure that LIM has been taken care of...

bricooper78
10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
It WAS.. Haha. I spent a couple hours on it.

good job on it then man! :applause:

Wgflatliner
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I never thought of blacking out the chrome trim. I would like to see what that looks like before committing to it. In the end I'm going to build it for myself, but murdered out in black may actually work.

As far as the cloth door inserts, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

Part of being different is not following the same trend as everybody else. It's what sets the car apart from the others, right? I will say that I will make tactful decisions with the car, so not to overly disappoint myself and misrepresent the grand am community at least in my area.

What's that mean? I will not make the car riced out.

Edit: just looked at gallery, black trim looks good.

Wgflatliner
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Just spent the day getting quotes for tint, body/paint, and alarm.

Average tint at 15% is 179 here in Colorado. Alarms are about 400 depending on the features. The car, to be sprayed completely which also means removing external door locks, all windows, badges, side moldings, and making sure the car is perfect: around $2000. I will make sure the gt body panels are on the car as well for the paint.

Tomorrow I will spend the day getting quotes for interior work like reworking the door panels and some other small stuff. Might stop at the pull and pay for gt parts.

Ajaxus
11-06-2012, 05:52 AM
This car is not worth a $400 alarm system. You can get a standard alarm at Best Buy for a fraction of that price that gets the job done just fine.

Wgflatliner
11-06-2012, 08:42 AM
This car is not worth a $400 alarm system. You can get a standard alarm at Best Buy for a fraction of that price that gets the job done just fine.

The car, maybe not.

The things that are going to be in it, definitely worth having an alarm worth 400

Wgflatliner
11-27-2012, 04:11 PM
So Project GT conversion should start this weekend, granted the local Pull N Pay has a GT in stock.

First step, GT tails.
Then it's getting good 2-dr door panels.

I will also attempt to fix the dash, as it is lifting away from the trim pieces around the gauges and the vents.

I somehow twisted my ankle good, so hopefully it won't take much to do this.

Depending on the cost and my ankle, I may get the bumpers and side trim pieces as well.

bricooper78
11-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Elevate and ice that bad boy man!

I'll cross my fingers for a good donor

Wgflatliner
11-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Elevate and ice that bad boy man!

I'll cross my fingers for a good donor

The funny part is I did it in my sleep, and I remember dreaming I was driving a car and the clutch pedal wouldn't move. I wonder why...

Edit: I noticed the cruise control isn't turning on (no light to indicate its turning on with the steering wheel or in the gauges. I haven't had a car with cruise control so I don't know where to begin troubleshooting this.

Shade2012
11-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Dafuq?

[ChaosweaveR]
11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
GT conversions make me have faith in this community...

Wgflatliner
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Well the SE cladding looks plain silly to me, what can I say?

Any ideas on the cruise control?

bricooper78
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
The "armed" light isn't coming on???? (The yellow light in the steering wheel control I mean)

if that's not, I'd say check fuses first

[ChaosweaveR]
11-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Cruise control...I believe a fuse or relay for it lies in the fusebox under the hood.

Wgflatliner
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Correct, it's not "arming" itself.

Will check fuses.

bricooper78
11-27-2012, 06:40 PM
If that's not it, it would just almost have to be the button itself went bad. If there were broken wires in the column, I'd think you'd see the red backlight flickering in the wheel mounted buttons

Wgflatliner
01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
So today I opted to start doing some knick knacks to the car. Went to the local yard and they only had one gt. the passenger tail was destroyed but I got the other and also the driver door handle as the new one has paint.

I figure the swapping of the key cylinder should be easy.

The other parts used to convert to gt were gone, but I'm sure more will come up.

I also went ahead and did a tuneup with oil, air/oil/fuel filter, plugs and wires. Rear plugs suuuuuuuck!

Btw, I didn't see any labels for the cruise control fuse. Where exactly is it?

bricooper78
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Ever used these guys?

http://car-part.com/ <---not carpart.com (2 DIFFERENT SITES)

it's an online junkyard database, basically.

found a place up the road a bit from me that i can't just drive to and dig around, and their customer service and shipping and prices are all completely awesome, without car-part I wouldn't have known they existed.

Wgflatliner
01-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Ever used these guys?

http://car-part.com/ <---not carpart.com (2 DIFFERENT SITES)

it's an online junkyard database, basically.

found a place up the road a bit from me that i can't just drive to and dig around, and their customer service and shipping and prices are all completely awesome, without car-part I wouldn't have known they existed.

Can't say I've used them. I did get a gt tail for 30 bucks though. Now I need to wait to find a gt front and rear bumper and the door skins.

Edit: where is the fuse for cruise control located?

[ChaosweaveR]
01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Edit: where is the fuse for cruise control located?

It should be in the fuse box under the hood.

Wgflatliner
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
;1202361']It should be in the fuse box under the hood.

None of them look to be labeled for cruise control.

plastic_indian
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
None of them look to be labeled for cruise control.
CC fuses are in the fuse panel on the passenger side of the dash. Control buttons are fused separately from the control module; I believe the module shares a fuse with the BCM.

Wgflatliner
01-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Swapped all cruise switches, still not "arming" on the button.

BCM = body control module? Ideas on where that is?

Just did more searching. Others have reported the same problems. The buttons light up with headlights, but no LED turning on. Will check the brake switch to make sure it's adjusted properly.

Wgflatliner
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Alright, so i'm not going to worry about the cruise control right now. It's not a huge concern for me.

I did find out my car does not have the monsoon system in it.

Yesterday i got a new head unit installed and some decent speakers. Got a pioneer deck with bluetooth and ipod/usb/etc etc etc... and the speakers are Polk Audio front speakers with Pioneer rear speakers. Sounds a lot better, but i'd like to get the audio more fine tuned than what it is. The best part is the installer had installed them behind the factory grilles, so the potential thief would not even know that there's aftermarket speakers in the car.

I will say that having bluetooth phone capabilities through my car stereo and speakers is a first for me and it's really cool to see it in action!

My passenger side GT tail light should be at my house within the next day or so, so i'll have a matching pair finally.

The GT tails vs SE tails have the same wiring and are just plug and play compatible, right?

So i guess i can consider the GT conversion initiated!

Wgflatliner
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Still trying to figure out this cruise control issue.

i'm looking at Rock Auto's website and i am looking at the switches that they list. They have the one group that includes the volume control and search buttons. i don't need that one because my volume and search buttons work. The only one that doesn't work is the cruise control "on/off" button not giving me an LED.

I don't want to just throw money at this and hope it fixes the issues, so i'm hoping for a little help here.

1. Fuses are fine
2. The buttons have functioning back lights so they do light up at night

There are two parts on Rock Auto that look the exact same:
AC Delco part number 22608615 for $60.79
Standard Motor Products part number DS2200 for $45.79

both parts look 100% identical, so i'm not sure why one is cheaper than the other?

i forgot to check the junkyard car to see if it had the buttons, so i may end up going back this weekend to see if any of them have these parts.

Can anybody think of anything else that might cause the cruise control issue? Is there any switches near the brake pedal i should look for? if i'm going to go to the junk yard i'm going to pull anything and everything i can think of that'll help resolve this.

Thanks.

bricooper78
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
The factory grille is in the back deck lol so they do hide stuff well, glad to hear (eh? pun) you got the stereo right..

I've had no great epiphany on this yet, sorry man.

Wgflatliner
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Hmm.

maybe somebody else can chime in on the cruise control issue. i've searched and managed to unearth some other threads talking about the same exact thing, but there was no answer, and i didn't feel it was appropriate to bump the thread. SOMEBODY said that it's the possible clock spring that could be out of whack, and that somehow ties to the multifunction switch. My multifunction switch needs to be cleaned up to fix the random click noise anyways, so maybe that might be the problem as well. I don't get any HUD lights or dummy lights or anything.

Can somebody head over to www.rockauto.com and do a search for the cruise control switches for these cars? just select the car and year, and in the search box, type in "cruise" and search. it'll highlight the areas pertaining to cruise control.

i'm pretty proficient with wiring, as long as i have a GOOD wiring diagram to work with. Who knows? maybe figuring out this issue will benefit the community so we have an official answer to this.

All i know is i'm about to drive from Colorado to Las Vegas next Wednesday, and i would absolutely love to have my cruise control working.

bricooper78
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Oh I thought I'd brought up the clock spring... woopsie.. yea..

the brand/offbrand deal is easy, some place makes them both, and slaps two names on it lol that's how it goes usually, and something like that, I'd go with the cheaper, suspension stuff on the truck, i went good name brand, but a lot of stuff i go store brand, and really haven't noticed any differences

kzulfic
02-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Have you tried pulling up on the brake pedal and setting the cruise? The dis-engage for the cruise is there and if it doesn't work it could just be out of adjustment.

Sorry if some one posted this, I didn't feel like reading through the thread. lol

bricooper78
02-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Shot in the dark, and you're too blame...

oh yes, I seriously just Bon Jovi'd this thread!

kzulfic
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Shot in the dark, and you're too blame...

oh yes, I seriously just Bon Jovi'd this thread!

I'm confused.:confused:

bricooper78
02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Honey you give love, a bad name

you young punks... no culture at all.

but the shot in the dark was not covered yet, so you're ok

plastic_indian
02-07-2013, 08:32 PM
*snip*

I don't want to just throw money at this and hope it fixes the issues, so i'm hoping for a little help here.

1. Fuses are fine
2. The buttons have functioning back lights so they do light up at night

*snip*

Can anybody think of anything else that might cause the cruise control issue? Is there any switches near the brake pedal i should look for? if i'm going to go to the junk yard i'm going to pull anything and everything i can think of that'll help resolve this.

Thanks.

Either keep throwing parts at it and hope for the best or apply an organized diagnostic method. I don't know of any pattern problems or 'black magic' solutions for cruise problems here, outside the normal diagnostic wisdom of checking any and all owner-executed repairs/modifications to see if they may have inadvertently caused the problem.

The screen shot is only about 25% of the OE diagnostic flowchart. Get through that and I'll dig up the appropriate continuation.

J 39200, btw, is just GM/KentMoore speak for a multimeter.

kzulfic
02-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Honey you give love, a bad name

you young punks... no culture at all.

but the shot in the dark was not covered yet, so you're ok

I have culture just not a bon jovi fan. I think I'm a little less confused now, maybe. lol

unchained_01
02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Check the connector
I have to clean mine from humidity and moisture
Then it works fine for a while

Wgflatliner
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Either keep throwing parts at it and hope for the best or apply an organized diagnostic method. I don't know of any pattern problems or 'black magic' solutions for cruise problems here, outside the normal diagnostic wisdom of checking any and all owner-executed repairs/modifications to see if they may have inadvertently caused the problem.

The screen shot is only about 25% of the OE diagnostic flowchart. Get through that and I'll dig up the appropriate continuation.

J 39200, btw, is just GM/KentMoore speak for a multimeter.

This is exactly what I'm after. I prefer organized diagnostics. Thanks for posting that up. Will keep you informed with the results.

Edit: time to invest into a shop manual.

Wgflatliner
02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
the guy sent me an SE tail light.

;crap

Wgflatliner
02-20-2013, 10:36 PM
got my gt tails swapped in!

young gun
04-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Storm done yet? I want updates!!