Squeaking hub? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking hub?

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 07:12 PM
i have a squeaking noise sounds like a brake squeak but the only thing is it only happens while turning right and without the brakes applied

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm fighting that sound myself. I replaced both front hubs about a year ago and within a week the sound showed itself again. It only does it when I turn right. I'd like to know myself of where to look to next for the annoying ass sound.

Kayaus
10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the hub assembly and the head gasket are the only 2 major known issues with these cars. My front passenger side assembly went and cost me $250 for labor and parts. If your ABS light aren't lite up and no other error codes pop up I wouldn't worry about it much.

Kayaus
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
What are your odometers reading? (Just curious)

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Mine were both replaced already but the sound came right back almost immediately. I never had TC, ABS or engine codes/lights. I replaced them previously because both were squealing into both left and right turns. But very shortly after that I can hear a slight sqeak turning right only and has been that way since but still no codes or lights pertaining to TC/ABS. My car has 99k on it.

bricooper78
10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
When was the last time you changed front brakes?

If that pad isn't wearing straight, and the pad is thin, they could be shifting a little, and the squeaker (that tells you your brakes are low and needing replacing) could be touching.
*without the brakes being touched, the caliper would be relaxed, and the pad would have room to shift*
Also, there is a grease stuff for the back of the brake pad, it kinda helps seat them so that doesn't happen, anyone not use that stuff? works okay from what i can tell.

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Doubt mine is from brakes. My front rotors and pads are maybe a year old and the back rotors and pads were done maybe 2 months ago. Rotors were all new with ceramic pads.

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
might b my brakes ima replace em next week on that note these calipers are different from what im use to which hole do i push the piston with

bricooper78
10-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I had another GM product that had that happen quite a bit, then once I changed calipers, it quit lol

just tossin' you guys out some ideas

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
do u kno which hole do i use to push back the caliper piston

sleepyalero
10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
do u kno which hole do i use to push back the caliper piston

i use a c clamp, open brake resivoir, and SLOWLY push piston back in.

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
i mean like in some cars they have a hole on top of the caliper itself.. also if i take the cap off do i need to bleed the brakes

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I was able to push the pistons back in by hand. You should not need to bleed them just from removing the resovoir cap unless you manage to pull air into the system some how.

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
ok where or how do u push the caliper back can i use a flathead

bricooper78
10-15-2012, 09:02 PM
use a C clamp, they'll fit right around, and do what he said, open your cap on your tank, and slowly push 'er back out. You should be fine :)

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
cool ok sorry to sound like a tard so the flathead method doesn't work on the GA

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 09:10 PM
cool ok sorry to sound like a tard so the flathead method doesn't work on the GA

Doubt it. Just use a C-clamp or one of the cheapo brake tools they have at the part store. If you happen to have one of the 2 way steering wheel pullers you can use an old brake pad and the steering wheel puller, works just like the brake tool.

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
ok so how do i push the caliper piston back before i get to the pads... i kno im being a PITA but these calipers are different from what im use to

bricooper78
10-15-2012, 09:15 PM
my prob with flathead is you're not using centered, even pressure like a clamp. you're wedging into the piston... i just don't like that, i don't have info for ya man.

i have a C that is a 6" iirc, and i put it all the way across, maybe it's an 8... but anyway, i just put it over the back of the caliper and screw lol if you google c clamp caliper you're bound to see pics, or maybe youtube vid to where to put it.. i don't have a GA out there to take a pic of, sorry man

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
ima trt the classic flathead method if not ima get a c clamp

bricooper78
10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
everyone has their "go to" methods of stuff lol good luck, watch the knuckles!!

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
well i googled the c clamp method and to hell with flatheads so is it mandatory to take the mastercylinder cap off

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 09:30 PM
ok so how do i push the caliper piston back before i get to the pads... i kno im being a PITA but these calipers are different from what im use to

Do you know the procedure to change the pads on one of our cars? You shouldn't need to press the piston back in until you are ready for the new pads.

Take off the cap on the brake fluid reservoir, remove the 2 caliper bolts, take the caliper off the rotor (may be difficult if you rotors are worn badly), remove the old pads and retainer clips, press the piston in, install the retainer clips, install the pads, replace the caliper back on and install the bolts. Don't forget to put the cap back on the brake fluid reservoir before using the brakes.

well i googled the c clamp method and to hell with flatheads so is it mandatory to take the mastercylinder cap off

I always have because when you press the pistons back in the fluid is forced back to the reservoir which may or may not require fluid removal or to be added. I don't the true reason but I have always heard you should take the cap off.

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
gotcha so is this the same for the rear as well

chris_gt_74
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Yep unless you have drum brakes, not sure if 01's have disk or drum brakes.

bricooper78
10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
should be disc over parking brake(little drum, won't need changed).

and the cap needs to come off so you don't build up a ton of pressure in the lines. so yes it is mandatory. or, you build up so much pressure you blow a seal, which will require FAR more work than removing the cap

EJ01GAGT
10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
cool and yea i got disc brakes in the rear

EJ01GAGT
10-16-2012, 10:12 AM
When was the last time you changed front brakes?

If that pad isn't wearing straight, and the pad is thin, they could be shifting a little, and the squeaker (that tells you your brakes are low and needing replacing) could be touching.
*without the brakes being touched, the caliper would be relaxed, and the pad would have room to shift*
Also, there is a grease stuff for the back of the brake pad, it kinda helps seat them so that doesn't happen, anyone not use that stuff? works okay from what i can tell.

just did my front brakes and yes this must have been the problem because i cant duplicate the sound anymore

bricooper78
10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
cool man, glad it helped

EJ01GAGT
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
ty for the advice and by the look of the pads i was well over due