Starting problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

bakeredition
10-16-2012, 12:08 PM
ok heres the problem...what I have noticed is that..the car cranks and no starts at times...when this happens I have noticed when i turn the key i dont always here the fuel pump energize...if i cycle the key on the second or third try i then hear the pump and the car will start. I replaced fuel pump relay and same issue...im leaning towards the pump...but just wondered if im over looking something else before i take on that big expense.

thanks!

bakeredition
11-06-2012, 10:29 AM
ok guys..quick question...i have replaced ignition passlock tumbler and did the by pass down by the BCM...what I hear is that when the key is turned sometimes the fuel pump engages and sometimes not which will not allow the car to start. If I turn the key on and off and cycle the key a few times the pump may click on....I have replaced the fuel pump relay as well...So am I safe to assume the pump is bad?

chris_gt_74
11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I'd say if you don't hear the pump priming everytime you turn the key to on then the pump is likely dying. Passlock cuts the ignition and does not affect the pump from priming up iirc.

bakeredition
11-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Well after replacing the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump, the ignition tumbler for the passlock security...i found the problem at the packard connector that runs the fuel pump thats on the passenger side and mates with a plug goes through the floor under the back seat. corrosion got into the connector and found it by a freak accident....so if you have a fuel pump that will work sometimes or not..look at this plug first.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Another happy ending on GAGT.com.

bakeredition
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
;1194384']Another happy ending on GAGT.com. Not Quite...Well I thought the connector was my problem...but still have the same issue of the pump not coming on all the time...today the check engine light came on and had 13 codes from ABS to crank sensor to evap for fuel....so i figure i got 150k the ECM is going bad...found a place on line that has used ones with a year warranty and they flash them with my vin# and makes them pretty much plug and play...thoughts anyone?

bricooper78
11-19-2012, 06:51 PM
um, maybe ok... have ya taken it loose, and checked the ground, and the connectors, make sure it isn't full of corrosion? maybe you have had moisture getting in there from something, that could cause that

bakeredition
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Ok...all connections look good at the Computer....Still have intermittent power at fuel pump relay...when no power presents itself...taking a test light and jumping power to the power side of the relay seems to fool the computer and upon replacing the relay it will start...still bettin on a bad computer

bricooper78
11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
It may not be worth it to pull one from a junkyard and try, dig around here, I think you have to flash it to your VIN iirc