New here have a question on HID [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New here have a question on HID

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Wanted to install hid kit 8000k on 2000 gt .the kits I see come with the ballasts bulbs and wiring. what else would I need? Do I need the cancellor and error control wires? I do want to disable the drl's but I do not want to cut any wires. Is their another way. I am looking to buy these fro ddm tuning since i bought them for my jeep and had no problem. That kit was just plug and go no problems. It has have been over a year on the jeep. Thanks in advdance

SeatreandGT2003
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
A kit is really Plug and play it u only got bulbs and wiring u are missing the converter!!! witch is not normal for a kit to not come with its simple plug and play and placing on your GT

as seen here this is what u need :)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/seatreand/kithid.jpg

P.S. Make sure u try at night to get it placed well if not u will killing everyboady eyes on the road.. :) :angel

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 10:23 PM
It comes with the wiring but they told me I have to disconnect the drl due to low voltage? It is a complete kit but they also have an error control harness and a cancellor harness do I need these also or is it a waste of money. also the fogs can i just use bright white halogen bulbs like from street glow instead of the stock lights. Funny how the lights on the gt look yellow compared to my jeep with the hid's.

sleepyalero
10-22-2012, 10:33 PM
It comes with the wiring but they told me I have to disconnect the drl due to low voltage? It is a complete kit but they also have an error control harness and a cancellor harness do I need these also or is it a waste of money. also the fogs can i just use bright white halogen bulbs like from street glow instead of the stock lights. Funny how the lights on the gt look yellow compared to my jeep with the hid's.

all you need is there hid kit, you do not need the error harness or cancellor harness you speak of.

yes you will have to disable your DRL's (daytime running lights) for the hid kit. if you dont your hids will flicker or only one come on or something. the HID kit is a pretty simple conversion to do. im sure there is a thread on here somewhere about removing the DRL's ill look for it to try and save you some time of looking...

as for the fogs.... i mean you could... as long as its the same bulb number/type.

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 10:37 PM
I will have to cut wires for the drl? Or can i pull a fuse ? Can you send me a link. I am mechanicaly inclined I used to build race cars back in the day but this newer electronic stuff I get very scared about fn stuff up if you know what i mean.This is my wifes car and I want it right. It has 20,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance.

sleepyalero
10-22-2012, 10:39 PM
heres the thread.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17559&highlight=disable+drl

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
do I have to pull the headlights to install the hid kit how about the top ram air cover. just thinking off the top of my head, car is bone stock. But this car gets up and goes. actually this car pulls like my older mustang lx 5.0 . I will never sell it it is showroom condition. Had it since 2003. Will eventually throw on a ram air hood.

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
so basically I am locating the dk blue wire on the black box cutting it and adding an extension wire to ground it out? am I correct .That is it one wire?

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 10:47 PM
should I go with the 8000k or the 10000k car is coupe 2dr white.

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 10:53 PM
what is the alc ?
do i have to cut the drl and alc in order to have the drl disconnected?

sleepyalero
10-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Here is where you should ground the wire that comes from the BCM. (the screw next to the 194 bulbs)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad58/natesalero/ground.jpg

yes you will have to pull out the headlights, idk about the ram air box, i own an alero so im just going off threads here to help. :p

i wouldnt worry about alc, you only need to worry about DRL.

AaronGTR
10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Since your car is a 2000 you will have to follow the cut and splicing directions in that thread to get rid of the DRL's. You can't just pull the fuse or relay. That only works on the '03+ cars.

To install HID's you will have to pull off the ram air shroud to access the release tabs for the headlights, and take the headlights out so you can remove/install the bulbs and run your wires and install the ballasts. There is no way to get to the bulbs without removing the headlights.

As for color, go with 6000k or 8000k. 10000k is way too blue and looks tacky plus it actually doesn't light the road as well. Also be forewarned that putting HID bulbs in stock housing will produce a lot of glare and a lousy beam pattern on the road. You will get a lot of flack for it here and many people will tell you to retrofit projector housing into your lights. It sounds like this may be too complicate for you though. Best thing to do is get 35w bulbs instead of 55w. They are plenty bright and won't blind people as bad.

edit: alc is Auto Light Control... or in other words the thing that automatically turns on the headlights at night. Some people don't like that feature and want to turn it off.

sleepyalero
10-22-2012, 11:05 PM
ahh yes forgot about color. ive got 8000k 35W kit from DDmtuning.com. i love them. i would go 6000k or 8000k, any higher you are cutting down your visability at night. plus i have heard the "bluer" your lights are the more tired it makes you while driving at night. but who knows. honestly i think 8000k are perfect. 10000k would be more for a show car in my opinion.

steer clear of 12k hids... cause really who would want purple headlights? :p plus i bet you can barely see at night.

you could also always just order the projector headlights off ebay for grand ams. ive got stock headlight housing in my alero there is 2 "hot spots" on the road, but after having them so long it doesnt bother me anymore.

idk if its the same for a grand am, but you can clearly see the left one, the right is aimed a little higher so its hard to see in the pic (look by white line)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad58/natesalero/0D39B55B-0701-4732-8F28-6979E2D3339C-383-0000000D9970D0A9.jpg

and for anyone that points my gauges out... yes i know its reading 100% psi for oil, there is something wrong with the gauge along with the volt gauge.. i think the gauges themselves are shot... ive gone through all wiring and replaced sensors and still wont read. so idk..

AaronGTR
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I have a 6000K 35w HID kit in my black housing headlights. The light output and color are perfect, but the light pattern sucks. I plan on retrofitting some projectors into them eventually, with a new HID kit.

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 11:27 PM
thanks. I will go with the 8000k lights nothing higher. This is what I have in my jeep and it is 100% more clean light. In my truck I adjusted the headlights a little higher to piss off the people in my town because they are rude and all drive with their brights on. for now I will use stock lights. then switch eventually to halo design. So I will only cut the drls that is all I'm worried about. . DDm tuning is where I will purchase from unless you have a better place let me know thanks for all the help.

tomkoala67
10-22-2012, 11:28 PM
oh I was going to buy 55w kit with the 8000k same as my 2000 jeep.

sleepyalero
10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
DDmtuning is the place to go for these cars hid kits. ive had mine like 2.5 years and its had no problems.

id just stick with 35w ive heard about 55w the stock wiring might not handle is and will melt them or something... not 100% on that though.

8000k 35W compared to the 8000k 55w, the 55w are 40% brighter and you are probably going to blind alot of people and may get pulled over for it, i believe in some states, if cars did not come factory with hid kits, it can be considered illegal to have hid kits installed, by law.

just be smart, dont get bright ass lights to put other peoples lives in danger just cause you want super bright head lights. 35w is perfect for low beam, id do 55w in high beam. you get 35w in lows, you will not be sorry. they are perfect in my car.

DrFabulous
10-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Please, please, PLEASE use projectors when using HIDs.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/DrFabulous26/98GASEHID.jpg

tomkoala67
10-23-2012, 11:31 AM
mine is a combo bulb Hi/low beam so I should use 35watt kit? My jeep has the 55w kit and no problems with wires. But with the jeep I have seperate hi and low beam..

tomkoala67
10-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Found this website for bulbs non hid is this a good route or just go with the hid's

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MT-452&CartID=1

DrFabulous
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Keep in mind that placing HID's into halogen housings is illegal in most of the country (rarely enforced, I'll admit, but why bring attention to yourself?)

Good reading here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

handon
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Please, please, PLEASE use projectors when using HIDs.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/DrFabulous26/98GASEHID.jpg

X2. I just retro'ed some into mine This past winter, and I will NEVER go back. 4300K, and they look like stock headlights from a new BMW, Acura TL, etc, as far as color when looking at the car, and usable light is absolutely perfect. $145 shipped with bulbs, and I already had ballasts. PLEASE do this!

DrFabulous
10-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Found this website for bulbs non hid is this a good route or just go with the hid's

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MT-452&CartID=1

Neither. "Cool blue" is not brighter than standard bulbs, trust me.

SeatreandGT2003
10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Neither. "Cool blue" is not brighter than standard bulbs, trust me.

Drfabulous is right its really not good.

I was really dissapointed with Mtec... trust me i had them and put them in the Garbage!!

TDavis
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
1998 projector retrofit? I want to see how that looks. I've never seen a 4th gen with a retrofit.

DrFabulous
10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
1998 projector retrofit? I want to see how that looks. I've never seen a 4th gen with a retrofit.

It was someone on the "other" site- a lot more 4th gens over there.

DrFabulous
10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Drfabulous is right

I usually am ;)