Blown head gasket or intake? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket or intake?

ShowMeHooters
10-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Keep blowing coolant resivoir way to much pressure

chris_gt_74
10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Are you getting any misfire codes? It could be a head gasket. I had one and mine was blowing coolant but mine didn't throw codes consistantly enough to know for sure. But I could smell the exhaust smell in the overflow tank which prompted me to go ahead and do the tear down and I found that number 1 cylinder was indeed leaking.

ShowMeHooters
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
No codes but once in awhile when I first start it
It will run rough for about 1 min and also once in awhile
It will randomly miss fire 20k on new tune up

chris_gt_74
10-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Mine acted up when the engine was cold. But after operating temp was reached it ran much better. Mine turned out to not be blown but the rear most bolt had backed out or stretched I guess so it was leaking past it. I had a picture of mine but I don't know if I kept it.

I'd do a compression test and see if that helps you pinpoint it.

ShowMeHooters
10-24-2012, 12:03 AM
i noticed oil leaking in the back not sure if its old but im down almost a quart of oil since last oil change almost 3k ago and the oil is already pitch black (i use full synthetic castrol 10 w30 to help the lifter tap)

im guessing possibley one of cylinders has oil in it and making it miss ... i took it out for 20 mins and the exhaust smells like **** and smoking white but its not that cold and the temp gauge wouldnt go past half actually running a little cooler ...could it still be a head gasket if its not over heating or do i have a dif prob...

chris_gt_74
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Mine never overheated with the bad gasket. But white smoke usually indicates coolant being burned off inside the cylinder. If it is coolant it will eventually kill your catalytic converter too.

rizer
10-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah, white smokes means coolant in cylinder. I drove around with no choice for a week smoking like crazy going through a quart of coolant every 35 miles. Ended up being a head gasket but really couldnt find the obvious spot the gasket was leaking. My converter survived being murdered for a week straight, heh.

I cant see it being anything else but a headgasket